FOUR, diver down

Začať od začiatku

"is this about our dcs appointment getting rescheduled or... john b?" cassie questioned, making the woman stop in her tracks once again. "because, i have to go pick my daughter up and go check in on work, but if i need to stay, i will."

"no, cassie, go along, handle your business. i'm sure your brother will tell you everything i have to say when you get back." sheriff peterkin informed her, crossing her arms across her chest. "you're not the one getting into gunfights on the beach."

cassie's eyes widened, as she grew increasingly more anxious. "gunfight?" she repeated in forced surprise. "i don't know anything about a gunfight."

"cassie, i'm not stupid." sheriff peterkin said in a warning tone. "you and your brother need to stay out of trouble. i'm willing to help you two out, so long as you stay under the radar."

"thank you, so much, sheriff." the girl replied, nodding eagerly. she grabbed the keys from the table by the door and was off, without another word.

☀︎☀︎☀︎

     AFTER GRABBING GRACE FROM THE JACKSON'S, HER NEXT STOP WAS THE THOMPSON'S. the thompson family was the family cassie nannied for, since before she was pregnant with grace. they were a kook family, made up of evelyn, her boss, her two young kids, miles and faith, and occasionally her eldest daughter, naomi, who was in college.

evelyn thompson was the most generous, kind hearted, wise woman cassie knew. also probably the second best kook in all of kildare, coming behind kie, of course. she used to be a world famous model, although she settled down in the outer banks four years prior, after starting a makeup brand that was very highly praised. she did a lot for cassie, even though she didn't need to.

she had thrown her a baby shower when she got pregnant, because no one else was going to. she was paying her way more than any other kook would pay a nanny, because she knew cassie's situation. the reason she was so empathetic about cassie's situation is because evelyn herself was a teen mom. she had her eldest daughter, naomi, when she was 15, and now, naomi was 19 and away at college.

she was incredibly hardworking and goal oriented, but she was not the type of mother who neglected her kids and just had the nanny raise them. she worked from home, most of the time, and she only really needed cassie to entertain the kids and keep them out of trouble. often, cassie felt like she was being paid to hang out with evelyn, and keep an eye on the kids.

it was also a good job to have with grace, since she couldn't take grace into her other job, at the diner she worked at, richie's, where she was mostly just a fill in, in case somebody wanted to drop a shift. of course she had her own shifts, a few times a week, but she was never really scheduled more than two shifts per week, since the diner was a bit overstaffed.

cassie stepped up to the front door, grace's tiny hand clutching onto her own. she knocked on the door, before a voice inside called that it was unlocked. she opened the door, walking into the house she knew almost as well as she knew her own.

"oh, cassie." naomi, who was home for the summer, said from the couch, getting up and walking over to the foyer. "what're you doing here?" cassie smiled, feeling her daughter tug at her arm and duck behind her in a shy nature. "hi grace."

"hi." the girl quietly said, peeking her head out from behind one leg.

"i'm here to check on my schedule, for this week. phone towers are down, so me and your mom haven't been texting." the girl briefly explained. she noticed miles and faith playing in the living room, so she smiled and waved to the kids.