〔 𝟚: JAMIE'S POV 〕

[chapter: don't babe me]

˗ˏˋ 'ˎ˗

Jamie Tartt wasn't sure why Ted Lasso cared so fucking much about whether or not he was a team player. 

Because in his mind, he didn't need to be a team player. 

Despite what Tate had told him, had chastised him about several weeks earlier. 

But no matter what Ted's reasoning was, he was persistent, and Jamie didn't know how else to let the man know that he wasn't buying into any of his bullshit. With only the two of them in the locker room, he had been in the middle of trying to strike a deal with Ted about him pretending to listen to what he says and continuing doing his own thing, when suddenly the doors slammed open and in raced Henry.

Jamie felt the slightest bit guilty about being a dick to Henry's dad seconds before he entered,  but when Tate Greene tumbled in after the kid, Jamie suddenly found himself unable to meet her eye. 

"Woah, Jamie Tartt!" Henry cheered, running across the room to grin up at Jamie from his dad's side. And really, Jamie had always had a soft spot for children, so he decided to shut the fuck up for once in his life. 

That, and he could tell Tate was trying really hard to catch his eye. Probably so she could tell him off; he hated that she could read his pissy moods so easily. 

"Sorry, Coach. He's faster than I gave him credit for." Tate forced a grin, the same smile she wore whenever she had to pretend like she liked him during media days. Jamie watched as she tousled Henry's hair, but had to look away quickly as something knotted in his chest. 

"Nah, it's alright," Ted waved Tate's concerns off, not convincing at all.

Jamie decided that he wanted to leave as soon as possible, so he gestured for Henry to turn around so he could bend down to sign the Tartt kit he was wearing. And if he said it didn't boost his ego that the coach's son was wearing his kit, then he would be lying through his teeth. 

"Next time I score a goal, it won't just be for me." Jamie told Henry, grabbing the marker he kept in his locker. He could feel Tate watching him, with the scrutinizing, analytical stare of hers, but he acted like he wasn't phased by her presence. As if he wasn't aware of her in every room they shared. "It'll be for you. And for me. But just for us. Good lad."

Tate rolled her eyes. But Jamie saw the tiniest of grins she tried to hide. 

Ego boosted.

"C'mon, Henry. I'll race you back to your seat." Tate offered, and without saying so much as a word to Jamie, took off after Ted's kid, who raced out of the locker room just as quickly as he had come in.

Jamie was quick to head towards the pitch before Ted could think to yell at him some more.

He had no fucking idea what had gotten into Ted Lasso. 

Jamie had never been substituted off the pitch seconds after making his second goal in the match, and yet Lasso had done just that. So, in what could possibly be described as a moment of self-centeredness, he had left stadium with all the intent to home

But by the time he had gotten to his car, it started raining.

And he usually drove Tate home. She was still in the stadium, probably cheering for Richmond despite the fact that he left.