One

*Lil*

I'd been around this campus one too many times with Owen. I'd only come on the damn tour with mum and dad so I could look around the rink I'd be using as opposed to the hockey one Owen dragged us to on every weekend we visited for the past 2 and a half years.

It felt a lot bigger now. Somehow. Being here for myself. Knowing at the end of this mum and dad would drop me back off at the apartment and they'd be leaving me with a girl I'd spent a few months talking to online in case I chose here but I didn't really know her.

Callie, her name was. We had a few things in common. Same music tastes, similar kind of humour, like the same foods, both here for sports but different ones so it wasn't going to be competitive and we'd be able to support each other.

Speaking with her in advance had somewhat eased my nerves about finishing college and starting university. I mean, it's not like I'm a million miles away from home like my friends from school had gone. And Owen was here if I desperately needed him. I really didn't want to. I love Owen like any younger sister loves her older brother. In that he's a fucking nuisance. Massively over protective, loud, obnoxious, too popular.

I didn't expect this to run any different than it had in high school. Owen would make it known he was my big brother and not a soul would come near me until he left when he graduates this summer. By that time, word will have spread that I'm 'untouchable' because I have a 'crazy older brother who threatened to cut the balls off the first guy that touched me and launch them across the ice like a puck'. Been there. Done that. Had the fucking tee-shirt.

Not this time.

No- no.

This was different.

This was Uni. I was 18 now. He had no say over who or what I do here and after spending all summer making that very clear to him, he promised me he would. As long as the guy wasn't a 'twat', a 'nerd' or one of his 'boys'. Leaving me with practically no one in his opinion and he thought he was smart. But my plan didn't include him knowing about anything I was doing anyway. I'd see him around campus, go to his games, he'd show up at whatever I had going on, we'd have dinner and a movie night every now and then but other than that, my time was mine and I could spend it in whoever's bed, doing whatever I damn well pleased.

The tour took us through the hockey rink, the group going a little crazy over the bundle of men on the rink and I just rolled my eyes. I never really got the whole hockey guy obsession thing. Owen's played since before I was born, dad played for the IHL until he retired. I've been around hockey and ice my whole life. They put me on the ice too. I tried hockey and hated it. So sweaty and everything smelled and those uniforms are so heavy and ew- no. But I do love skating. So, we landed on figure skating and 5 year old Lilah took to it like a duck to water.

Now we're here. 13 years later. Too many trophies under my belt to reel off. Looking towards International Championships and possibly the Olympics. Where Owen was looking to follow in dad's footsteps and go into the IHL and then coach. Although he was a hell of a lot closer to his goal than I was. Simply because of the age gap.

Snitch

I'm here.
Don't bother me and I won't bother you☺️

Oh, nice one Lil.
You seem so excited to be around me again

Really?
Let me try again.
Leave me alone.

Now. How am I gonna look out for you if
I leave you alone?

Kinda the point
I don't need you looking out for me
Shouldn't you be on the ice right now?
Our group just passed by.
You've got fans btw
🤢🤮

Really? What were they like?
Are they cute?
Get me their numbers.

Omg. Not a fucking chance

Language

English.

Ladies shouldn't swear

Get fucked.

I'm glad you're here Lil. I missed having you
around.

🤮

Jesus Christ. Is this what I'm gonna get now?
If so I'll repack the car and go back with them.

HAHAHA.
That's not happening.
You're too excited to get out of that house.

Wishing I chose somewhere else right now.

Yeah.... Sure

Dinner tonight?

Nope.

What?! Why not?!

Because I've got socializing to do that
doesn't include my brother plastering
my face into every guys face on campus

What makes you think I haven't already?

Funny.

No but seriously. Dinner?

No. I'm going out with my roommate.

I'll tell you one last time Owen.

I might be here but you're not doing the
over protective thing here. I'm doing this my way.

Nah.

___

"Lilah, put your phone away."

"I'm texting Owen actually." I looked up, sticking my tongue out at my dad as he tried to get my attention now the tour was over. Both rinks were practically identical so I don't think it was going to cause an issue. The hockey one had seats in for game days. The one I'd be using didn't. Easy to distinguish. Simples. "Mum's gonna cry again." I pushed my phone into my jeans, crossing my arms tightly, watching her well up for the 6th time today alone. Dad pulled her into a side hug and I shook my head at her. "I'm like an hour and a half away mum. Owen's here. I'm fine."

"I know." She blubbed. "You're just so big now." I was suddenly wrapped into a hug and I wanted to break free, but I also knew I wouldn't be getting these on a daily basis like I had been for the past 18 years. It was weird. Moving out of home for that first time. Putting your feet on unsteady ground.

It's like you're so ready to go. To lace up your skates and just get to it and explore everything the world has to offer. But at the same time, it's terrifying. Being out here alone for the first time.

Gotta start somewhere though right?