4. fast lane but not the race weekend kind

Start from the beginning

Displeased with my response, Daniel cries out, "I'm not terrible all the time, Tils."

"Sorry," I shake my head as I correct myself, "I meant that I thought you were Lewis."

"He phoned me and said we should head down instead of waiting for him," he shrugs as he sticks his arm out and offers, "let's go?"

I nod and head to where my flats are, slipping them on with ease as I grab my keycard and wallet.

Daniel only pulled his arm back when I wrapped my arm around it. We descend to the ground floor where the restaurant is located.

A host takes us to a four table seat at a corner. Seeing familiar faces from the venue, I nod at them as a greeting before I find myself sitting across Daniel.

Soon enough, Lewis arrives and we begin to talk about today's events. Forty five minutes had passed, and we found ourselves conversing in front of our already empty plates.

Daniel asks about my family and all I can tell him has something to do with my mother's side of the family. I guess out of the wealthy people in my family, I can understand my mother's connections to the automobile industry. My toxic trait is that I despise my father but love my mother.

The difference is that my mother loves us more than anything and cares for our half-sister more than he does.

But it seems Daniel has focused on a different matter.

"Your mother is— you're a Ford, Tils," his eyes widen like an owl as his mouth gapes open. I can practically see a fly entering his mouth.

"My mum is," I laugh, looking at Lewis as he, too, laughs at Daniel's shocked expression.

"Mate, she's a Ford," Daniel reaches out to nudge at Lewis and gestures at me. "You carry that information around just like that?"

"She's not really putting it out there for everyone to know," Lewis chuckles, sipping on his water as he puts it down. "Besides, if you were really into racing you probably have heard about her dad or mum's family one way or another."

"I don't really go digging for information about old money families," Daniel rolls his eyes as he looks at me again, "you don't look like you're happy to be here. For someone who came from families who are into cars."

"My father insisted on having me work for his teams," I tell him, "I'm not exactly the brightest for motorsport. I prefer the media more than what my father wishes me to pursue."

"Have you raced before?"

"I had a karting career at some point," I shrug, "or at least I started at the age 4. Mum didn't agree with it and I should've started at 7, but my father insisted. I was already competing by 7. My sisters were too, but some preferred equestrian over racing."

"If my dad was a twat, I'd stop it just to spite him too," Daniel says as I raise my brows at the statement. He then corrects himself, "What I mean is I'd pursue the karting career for me, not for him."

"Gotcha."

Lewis pipes up, "Blanche is a pretty decent woman. You should see her, mate." He turns to look at me and asks, "Is she coming this weekend?"

"With Aimee and Sylvie," I nod in confirmation, "I'm not quite sure about Stevie yet but she wouldn't want to miss out on your home race." Not elaborating any further, I return to the topic, "My father is absolutely baffled when I quit karting but he can't do much because Poppy, my mum's dad, was still alive. So between him and Poppy, he chose not to interfere."

"But you're still here on behalf of your father though," Daniel points out.

"It's to secure my position and family's future," I tell him with a sigh. I look at him then back at Lewis before I say, "Whether I like it or not, I still need to do my part regardless of how much I hate the surname. It's an obligation that I can't avoid but it's alright. It's not just for me— it's for my sisters and my future children." Wow, I've only been friends with Daniel for a month and I'm already airing out my dirty laundry to him. Is this what happens when your friends are your sisters and just a man?