11- A Realization

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I like to come here to relax or blow off steam, it's like the forest but more... Personal? I don't know if that's the right word."

"I get what you're saying. Sometimes you have to distance yourself physically to really feel like you have privacy. To feel like you're your own person and not just an attachment or accessory to everyone around you." I speak with my voice raspy and drifting from sleep.

"You're good with words. Much better than me." Ao'nungs lips curl just enough to see he's being genuine.

"Wow, you, complimenting me? Completely unprompted? Who are you and where did you put Ao'nung?" I joke, a sarcastic disbelief present in my tone.

"What can I say, I'm just an amazing guy all around." He shrugs smugly.

"That's a good joke." I tease.

"Ha ha." His smile drops momentarily, "let's go inside now." His lips curl right back up, his eyes reflecting the stars perfectly as he eagerly pulls my arm towards the rocky island he's brought us to. He leads me up onto the rocks and into a cave with shallow water announcing our every step.

"I'm sorry again Ao'nung, for ruining your day. I promise I'll never drink again."

"I told you to stop apologizing. You aren't responsible for the actions of others."

"But I should've known my limit and slowed down, then I would've had self control and none of this would have happened." I grit my teeth.

"Stop trying to cover for everyone else!" He stops us in our tracks, whipping around to face me and grabbing my biceps, "Kai shouldn't have done that to you and you shouldn't have to feel bad about it!"

"I'm old enough to know better though."

"You're fifteen Neteyam! I know how hard it is to have the weight of the clan on your shoulders, but you're still young and you're allowed to live your own life without having to apologize for others' actions!"

"I guess you're right." I stare down at the ground, my eyes stinging lightly.

"Teyam," he grabs my chin gently and pulls my gaze up to match his, "I know that what I say won't change how you think unless you believe it yourself, so please- you don't have to take my words to heart now- but please think about what I'm saying. Really think about it, you can't carry the weight of the whole world on your shoulders. You're strong now, so strong, but one day- maybe when you're older- the weight will build up and build up until it breaks you, and nothing will fix it." We just stare into eachothers eyes for a moment after he's finished speaking, I want to say something back but my head is pounding and I don't have the energy.

"I guess... I guess Kai is a bit of a bitch." I respond, Ao'nungs face immediately plastering with a smile.

"He's a big bitch actually." He laughs and turns away again, standing beside me to pat my back.

"How far are we from your special spot now?" I tilt my head up at him as we walk, feeling his hand linger on my upper back, reluctant to pull away.

"Almost there." He smiles, rubbing his hand up and down reassuringly. He's right, as within only a minute we've reached a dimly illuminated cave, a large deposit of water closing of thee stream we've been walking through.

"It's beautiful... You definitely have a type though." I gawk at the small piece of paradise infront of us.

"What do you mean?" He freezes up for a second, his hand laying still and his skin growing slightly cooler.

"Like you have a type for what you like. This and the lake in the forest are very alike, this one just glows purple and doesn't have trees."

"Oh okay." He relaxes his tensed body and walks over to a rock ledge a couple of feet above the water, sitting down on the soft moss. I follow, sitting down beside him as he reclines, his hands supporting his head.