"We love you too much, Lay. We'll never let you feel bad about yourself," Gemma said, pulling me into a hug.

"We've got your back, Lay Lay," Adrian said, hugging me next.

"We love you, Layton, don't forget that," Skyler said.

This is one of the reasons that I love my friends so much. There have been multiple times where I'm doubting myself and my friends will be there for me. I, of course, do the same thing. It's what friends do. Gemma and I have been there for each other for over 15 years at this point. Skyler and Adrian have been there for me for the past 3 years. It's not a super long time, but when you know that they're good friends to you and vice versa, you keep them around.

"You guys are gonna make me cry," I said, my voice almost breaking.

"No crying," Gemma said, laughing lightly. "We love you and we want to make sure you know that,"

"Of course I know that," I said, patting my eyes to make sure no tears fell.

"No more sapping, only time to get our nails done," Skyler said, opening the nail salon door for the three of us to pile in.

"Good morning ladies, welcome, welcome!" one of the ladies said, a giant smile plastering on her face. "We'll be with you four as soon as we can,"

The four of us smiled at her as we began looking at the nail polish colors on many shelves in front of us. Gemma instantly knew what color she wanted and went to go grab it. Baby pink suits her very well. Skyler and Adrian struggled for a few minutes before they picked up the colors they also wanted. Skyler went with a very light green and Adrian went with black.

Then there was me.

I didn't know exactly what I wanted, but I found a design that I happened to like quite a bit. I only needed to find the color that would suit me the best.

Usually, I do with very bright colors and fun designs on my nails, but today I didn't want that at all. I wanted to go simple with kind of a basic design. I decided to get little white hearts on my nails. I think it's very cute. I grabbed the white polish off of the shelf in front of me and went back over to where the girls were waiting for me.

"What kind of nails are you getting this time?" Gemma is the first to ask me. "Is it a cool design? Lots of neon colors? What is it?"

"I'm just getting little hearts," I shrugged.

"What?" Adrian asked, clearly shocked at what I had told her. "Usually you get a really fun design with lots of colors, what changed your mind this time?" she asked.

"I'm not sure, but I wanted a basic design this time around,"

My friends are used to me getting something wild on my nails, so I understand fully why they can't believe that I'm going with something that isn't like that. But I can see that they're also very excited for me to step out of what I consider my comfort zone based on my past nail choices.

"Who wants to go first?" one of the nail technicians asks the four of us.

"I'll go," Adrian said, following behind her. From what she has shown us, her nails will most likely take the longest, so she should go first.

*

"I think you need to start choosing my nail designs for me," Skyler laughed, still admiring my nails. "I think I love them more than my own,"

"I will happily choose your nails for you next time. I have too many designs that I would love to do and not enough nails or time for that," I replied. "But I do love your nails a lot, light green does suit you,"