"I had an– um, an idea last night." Ella twirled a pen in her hand.

"Cheers!" Jackie gave the woman an encouraging wave with half a croissant. A small cloud of icing sugar landed on the lapel of her jacket. "What's the idea?"

"You've got–" Ella pointed.

"Yeah, this happens all the time," Jackie dismissed and tried to brush the powder off with the wrist of her other hand. It only made the stain double in size. "You'll learn to just ignore it," she joked. "So, what did you have in mind?"

"Maybe you– I mean, the school could have a parents' evening? So you could introduce yourself officially." Ella gave Jackie an uncertain glance. "I mean, some of the parents know you, but it's Fleckney, you see. People here love festivities and all sorts of get-togethers. They normally only do it in the Primary, but seeing that you're new here– We've still got funds left in the Summer festival budget, and– I mean, if you think it's a good idea, that is. But of course, if you don't fancy it... um, just forget I said anything!"

"That's brilliant!" Jackie exclaimed. "Thank you! I will definitely use this idea, and you will get all the credit! Nothing beats the insight of someone in your position and with your experience! I'll throw some notes together, and then I'll ask for your input, alright? There will be things I'll need your help with. Let me know if it adds too much work for you, though. I'll take some of your current tasks off your hands."

"I'm not busy!" Ella exclaimed. The woman was about twenty, and Jackie thought of how wonderful it was to be that young and full of energy. "And we're got properly engaged parents,' Ella continued with pride. "They all receive the newsletter. We can just send out invitations through Classter as well. And we've got the data from the fundraiser brunch we did after the blizzard a couple of years ago. I think we could even order some small bites, maybe buffet style. Drinks and those tiny cubes of dessert from Miss Rosa." 

Ella was clearly getting more and more enthusiastic about the idea.

"Wow, you're inspired!" Jackie cheered. "I think I'll let you look into it, if you don't mind. I'll prepare the presentation, but the rest–"

Ella perked up in her chair, beaming. "Leave it all to me!"

Utterly pleased with each other, they went to their desks, raring to go.

***

When she returned to the Old School, it was already dark outside. She creeped into the shed, but it appeared empty. Relieved, she locked the door - and jumped up when passing the hedge on the Western side of the cottage. She couldn't be sure that it was the same beast staring at her from the shrubbery, but it looked no less terrifying.

She bolted to the door, jerked it open - and a large fluffy form dashed by her, inside her home.

Jackie stared after it and burst into laughter. That definitely wasn't a badger.

No matter how relieved she felt, she still needed to address the 'infiltration.' She walked inside, put her briefcase on her Grandad's coffer, and called, "Hello? Where are you, mawkin? Cheetie-cheetie-cheetie!"

After half an hour of making kissing noises and crawling on all four, she finally located her shy invader: a pair of huge yellow eyes were burning under her bed.

"Hiya, mawkin! What are you doing here?"

Predictably, there was no answer. Jackie's previous interaction with felines was limited to sitting as far as possible from the temperamental ginger cat that her sister had had years ago.

"Are you going to come out?" she asked, stretching on her stomach. "Alright, I apologise for the flash–" She quickly snapped a picture, looked at the screen, and snickered. "You look very scary, buddy. Look!" She turned the screen to the cat. "At least we determined your colouring. Which you probably know, since you clean yourself. Although, aren't you lot colour-blind? I wouldn't know." She hummed pensively. "Your humans are probably looking for you. And I've got nothing for you here; no food or toys. But you're a pretty one, aren't you?" There was a large white spot on the animal's head, and the ear in the centre of it was white too. "Look at your funny beret."