You were drained. As a result of being met with the same horrible memory each night for the past couple weeks, you were getting at most two hours of sleep a night. As the anniversary of Dewey's death inched closer, your nightmares worsened.

Now it was 5 a.m, and there was still much time to pass before class began. You showered to wash off all the sweat from tossing and turning, and by the time you finished getting ready, it was only 6 a.m. You spent the rest of your morning watching sitcoms while enjoying a bowl of cereal at the front of the television.

You eventually left, off to your first class of the day. You loved history class, but unfortunately, your desk mate didn't take the class as seriously.

No matter how many seats were vacant that day, Tara always chose to sit beside you. You knew she was doing it solely to piss you off. The other day you fell asleep during class and woke up with your shoelaces tied together. If you weren't so tired, you would have countered with something like you would have in high school. You nearly smiled while thinking back to the pranks you pulled on each other.

Once you arrived at class, you sat down and immediately put your head down. You would have fallen asleep right then and there if it wasn't for the loud thud by your head. You looked and saw that Tara slammed down one of her books before sitting down.

The action made you lift your head while you rubbed your eyes. "And a good morning to you, Carpenter," you said in a tired, yet sarcastic, voice. You were still rubbing your eyes, maybe you could rub away the exhaustion.

"You look like shit," she remarked while putting down her bag.

"Hm? I zoned out—the stripes on that shirt are blinding."

The rest of the class went on like that; Tara making comments and you returning them. It really wasn't so different from Woodsboro, always picking fights and at each other's throats. But if you had to be honest with yourself, you didn't mind the distraction. It was nice. Tara Carpenter was good for something, not that you would ever tell her that. At least not without making her work for it.

As you were writing something down, a crumpled up piece of paper hit the side of your face. You glanced over to scowl at Tara before opening up the paper.

I need to copy your notes, read the note. This made you roll your eyes before looking at Tara again. She was looking up ahead, seemingly ignoring you. You looked back down at the paper, writing your reply. You threw it back to her before returning to your notebook.

Why can't you just write them yourself?

Tara exhaled with annoyance as she aggressively wrote again on the paper and chucked it at you. It hit your forehead, causing you to grumble as you read over the paper.

he talks way too fast I can barely understand what he's saying!!!

You sighed, rubbing your temples. Your sleep deprivation was beginning to catch up.

"After class," you mumbled in defeat.

Tara smiled as she looked back ahead, but her victory was short lived as she started drowning in her own thoughts.

Giving up so easily wasn't like you at all, you usually gave up more of a fight. She had noticed your drained expression when she walked in... but she decided not to dwell on it. This was you after all. She has already established countless times how hard you are to read.

Just enjoy the win, she told herself.

After you got through all your classes, you made it back to your apartment in one piece. You felt your eyelids grow heavier as you fumbled for your keys. You eventually inserted your key and unlocked the door to your apartment, barely feeling your legs as you walked inside with a foggy brain. You nearly knocked over a lamp on your way in. Anika was quick to notice this and rushed over to you.