Chapter Thirty Two: From Me to You

32. From Me to You

09-02-2023

A/N: Better late than never! I have important stuff to talk about regarding chapter length and update schedule at the end of the chapter! Make sure to stick around by then!

Q: How is/was your summer?

-----

Everybody was working together to create the phone. Sooner or later, it was eventually finished after weeks of hard work; Gen creating manganese batteries, Kaseki completing the vacuum, the kids finishing up the wiring, and the rest of the science team making the plastic. With all of it combined, the creation of radio waves was possible. Humanity had finally harnessed electromagnetic waves.

"How do we send a voice across electromagnetic waves?" Kohaku questioned.

You replied, "We're going to need a microphone."

"Yup! Making a mic will be the easiest thing yet! It's so easy that even a grade-schooler can do it!" Senku exclaimed. "All you need is win and seaweed!"

"I can't imagine how that works at all," Gen nervously stated.

Soon, the scientist explained how to get it as he went along the process. The first thing was to get little pink grains of stone that had built up under the wine barrel lids. The second thing was go cook seaweed, and the last thing was to dissolve both items into hot water together to create what was known as Rochelle salts. The Rochelle salts are able to change sound into electromagnetic wave, and so they were put into the mics of the cellphone.

Senku started with a grin, "Through the materialization of the greatest weapon of modern warfare, our voices can now reach to infinity--"

"--and beyond!" You finished his sentence with a smile.

The villagers cheered at the sound of that. They believed that with their voices, it'll be able to dance in the heavens above and reach the great beyond. However, the moment was ruined when Kohaku started speaking.

"By the way, I get this whole voice dancing off in the skies bit and all...but how exactly are we gonna catch it and hear it?" The lioness asked.

Everyone stopped in their tracks. Senku put up a playful expression and replied, "Ah. We need another one of these."

You nervously said as the villagers were dumbfounded, "Sorry for keeping it from you guys...having just one cellphone is pointless."

"You sure kept quiet about this on purpose, didn't you? Especially since if you told us from the start that we needed two of them, everyone's spirit would be broken..." Gen told you with sweat dripping down his face.

The scientist then grabbed the wires connected to the phone and started spreading it out through a roller. "Well, although we may not have another cellphone to receive the signals, if we extend the cable, we should be able to connect a landlines telephone. Slowpoke, you stay here and I'll go over to the chief's place so we can test this out."

"Alright! Chrome, you come with me so you can test the mic!" You told him as you grabbed the yellow cone from the phone. He willingly agreed with anticipation.

He followed you up the warehouse with Kohaku and Ginro, as well a few other villagers. You helped move a few wires and gave Chrome the mic.

"If you speak into the mic, the sound will travel all the way to the Chief's place through the wire," you explained to him.

"Oh! So, if I talk into here, then they can hear me over at Ruri's!" He exclaimed happily.

Kaseki added with concern, "But without the delicately crafted vacuum tube, we wouldn't be able to hear them, right?"