Chapter 1

Becca POV

The loud sound of my name coming from my boss cut through my thoughts.

"Becca, customers are waiting to be served."

"I will be there in a second," I answered leaving the dish I was cleaning to attend to customers.

This time of the year in North Carolina the coffee shop is always flooded with customers, and I have to run back and forth between serving the customers and cleaning the dishes, this and many other jobs I shuffle to provide for myself, my brother and foot my mom's medical bills.

The perk of working at the cafe is the tips, while the con is dealing with rude and obnoxious customers.

"Becca, it's time to clock out," my work buddy Kelvin reminded me, I brought out my phone to check the time, it was past five.

"Shit, I'm going to be late," I blurted out and rushed to change out of my work clothes.

"Wait, let me walk you to the bus station," Kelvin offered.

"Not today Kelvin, I will see you tomorrow!" I shouted as I sprinted out of the cafe to avoid missing the bus, it was so cold outside that I wished I had worn a jacket before leaving home.

Luckily I was on time to get on the bus, I sat breathing heavily and tied my hair into a messy bun, the look of my hair showed how long it had been since I went to the salon.

A chiming sound came from my phone, I checked it and saw a message from my brother.

"Hi sis, how have you been, I miss you, When are you coming to visit, Summer break is close by so I was thinking I should come to see you and Mom as well."

Before I could reply to the message the bus stopped.

The serving uniform for the hotel bar I work in is uncomfortable but I had no choice but to wear it if I wanted to get paid.

The bar at the hotel is so classy and filled with classy people, some customers can be great tippers while some can be a pain in the a**

"You are a bit late today," Trisha stated, pushing a tray filled with cold beer and mixed cocktails to me.

"I know I lost track of time at the cafe, I'm sorry, what table?" I asked pointing at the tray.

"Table six, after that, take table eight order, they have been here for a while," she answered.

I have been working at this bar for about a year now and if I am to describe Trish's personality, I would say strict she doesn't know how to take a joke, talk less about making one, But one thing about her is she is good at her job, she sometimes looks like a magician when she mixed drink, she looks cool.

"What would you like to order," I asked bringing out my note to take down their order.

"I would like to order you," One of the men at the table mentioned with an awful smirk forming on his face.

"What drink would you like to order sir," I asked again clenching the pen I was holding.

"Why the frowning girl, let me tell you a secret, I like you and as you can see im pretty loaded, Why don't we get out of here, take a room in the hotel and I help you out of that your uniform?"

I took a deep breath, trying not to lose my temper and cause a scene.

"When you are ready to order a drink sir, I'm one call away," I said turning away from him and the other men at the table, I suddenly felt him grab me by the butt and draw me closer.

"Don't be a bitch, I'm just trying to do you a favour," he said laughing, the other men at the table joined him to laugh.

The sound of my palm coming in contact with his face made the room call silent, the only sound was the soft music coming from the speaker in the bar.

"You crazy bitch!" the man shouted and I was ready to feel his hand on my face when someone grabbed his arm pushing him backwards.

"Do you know who I am?" He shouted ready to throw to fight the stranger that saved me.

Maybe it was because I was staring at this stranger I didn't notice he was with two other men, they were all dressed in a tux, but something about my saviour was different, he seemed like he was in charge, his hair was lying perfectly on his head, I could see a tattoo on his wrist through his unbuttoned sleeves.

"I don't need to know who you are, only animals behave this way," my Saviour's baritone-voiced echoed throughout the room, he then turned to the two men by his side and said

"Escort these men out of this hotel now"

I could have sworn this man stared at me for a second, I was about to thank him when he received a call, turning away to leave.

"Becca! Trisha's voice snapped me out of my head. I strode to join her at the bar counter.

"What happened out there, you were meant to just get their order, why would you hit a customer! she yelled.

"Did you not see what happened? That man harrassed me and this is what you have to say," I retorted, feeling angry, shocked and frustrated.

"Look, Becca, if you are not ready to work, I can always get someone to replace you, Get your act together, and you can take the rest of the night off."

Tears filled my eyes, I immediately changed into my clothes and left.

***
I stared at my mother laying on the hospital bed with several machines hooked to her.

"Hi Mom, im sorry I haven't visited you lately, I have just been here and there trying to make sure everyone is fine," I said sniffing back the tears trying to escape my eyes.

She fell at work, hit her head and slipped into a coma, ever since I left school and has had to work all sorts of jobs to take care of my brother Jake and pay for her hospital bills.

Lucky for me, my mom's friend took my brother in but that didn't stop me from providing for him.

"Mom, you know, girls my age are in college, getting their lives together, maybe going to parties or dating. I'm tired Mom, I don't think I can do this alone, I need you Mom, I'm so alone, please wake up." I cried so hard, hoping she would hear my voice and wake up.

I didn't realize I slept off, I checked the time and saw it was midnight already. I have to leave the hospital to get ready for work.

"I'm leaving now mom, The next time I visit I will come with Jake," I said leaving a light kiss on her forehead.

I got off the bus and started walking to my apartment when I felt someone following me, my heart started to race as I quickened my step to get to my apartment, I turned back and saw a man dressed in black following me, in that moment, I realized I was in danger.

I started to run to get away from this man when suddenly a van appeared in from of me and some men grabbed me and covered my mouth with a cloth, I tried to scream and struggle to get away from them when I suddenly started to feel sleepy...