040, stolen muffins

Start from the beginning

Deep down August hoped she could one day carry on Susannah's tradition. Where the three families were forever merged, living next door to each other, swinging in and out of each other's homes as if they owned both. Where if one of her kids got hurt or they did something they weren't supposed to, they could run next door and tell the others.

August turned to look at her brother before smacking the side of his head, hard, causing the boy to jump up with a very 'manly' scream. She immediately erupted with a laugh as he squirmed, trying to wake up.

He sat up, blinking like a maniac before he finally realised where they were. As if he and August were the same person, his demeanour changed. His face dropped into a slight pout as he stared at the front door like she had done moments before.

August stopped laughing and unbuckled her seatbelt, stepping out of the car. Jayden also got out of the vehicle, catching the keys she threw at him as she walked out of the driveway, heading next door.

"Where are you going?" Jayden asked stupidly as he followed after her, running to catch up.

August rolled her eyes and pointed to the large home that sat next to theirs, "Where do you think?"

It was early enough that August had a feeling the Fisher boys were surfing, therefore, she could ignore Conrad, but it was also early enough that she knew Steven would be awake - and hopefully Belly.

As they walked up the driveway, memories of all the times they got in and out of the cars just to run into the house soaking wet as Laurel yelled at them for making the floor wet, but Susannah didn't care, which also meant the kids didn't care.

The two looked at each other as they approached the front door, silently asking each other who was going to open the door, because they both knew no one in the house was going to.

Jayden put his balled up hand out, indicating that they play rock, paper, scissors. August gave him a blank look, "Are we six?"

The boy shrugged before placing his pointer finger on his nose, catching August off guard, "You are unbelievable." She groaned, pushing past him and opening the front door. Everything she had missed over the past ten months suddenly hit her in the face. It still smelled like Susannah. She liked it.

August walked into the house, a giddy smile washing over her features as she let her eyes wander over every detail in the hall.

Her once bright, beautiful smile was wiped clean off her face when she walked into the kitchen and was met with two people she sure as hell didn't recognise. Her jaw dropped as Jayden smacked into her, his expression matching hers when he saw the two.

"Who the fuck is that?" He mumbled in her ear, making her shrug.

"I have no idea?"

After a few seconds of silence - and borderline panic, Belly appeared beside them, but she didn't seem to notice they were there as she stared at the blonde woman by the sink in confusion.

"Do you think she knows?" August whispered up to Jayden, referring to the girl who was suddenly snapped from her trance as the - what August was imagining was imagining a parent and a child having a hushed conversation.

"Oh. Hey, Belly." The person said, their eyes flashing with confusion as they stared at the twins, "And... other people."

"Hey." Belly mumbled, clearly only awake, "Sorry. I just, um, smelled muffins."

"Do you think we should walk in?" Jayden asked his sister, pushing her forward slightly. August stepped on his foot, making his movements come to a halt.