A smile tugged at his mouth, but then he threw his arms around her waist and held onto her tightly. "What if he says no?"

"Then House Baratheon can have the honor of being the first house to meet Braxes in war." She joked, rubbing at his back to calm him. "You won't be some prisoner if he decides to side with our uncle. If he says, tell him you'll take his message to the queen and leave."

"I can go to The Eyrie instead...you don't have to return there, if you don't want to. Jace is still just angry. You don't have to leave to spite him." His voice was muffled by her shoulder and she couldn't help but smile to herself. At least Luke understood.

"Jace would be angry whether or not I went there. Besides, I think it's time I see my lady aunt. I haven't seen her since the funeral anyways." She sighed. "And sending a raven to my aunt isn't an option right now. The greens have been sending ravens for days now probably. It'll be a short flight."

"What about you?" He asked in a small voice.

"What about me?" She chuckled.

He pulled back to look up at her with concern. "What about Aemond? Will you-?"

"Rhae said she would give him a chance to bend the knee and everything will be ok." She cut him off as she brushed through his dark hair.

"He won't do it. I know he won't. He hates our family."

"But he loves me." It was almost like she had to convince herself of those words. She had no doubts that Aemond loved her until Viserys died. When she woke up in a cell. When she heard he bent the knee to Aegon. When she saw him by the usurper's side before she fled.

"Are you sure that's enough?" Luke's eyes were filled with worry. He could see the uncertainty in her eyes, the way she looked like she was already at war on the inside with herself.

She pulled him in for one last hug, giving the top of his head a kiss. "We'll talk about it more after I return. Be safe, brother."

"You as well, sister." He gave a weak smile up at her before he gave her cheek a kiss and walked off towards Arrax. He looked over at her and he could see the dread all over her face as she mounted Braxes.

Now she stood at the balcony with no hope left in her. Her visions meant nothing to her. They were probably just dreams, because how could she forgive him for doing this?

She'd forgotten all about those rings. She thought none of her magic-even old spells she'd made over the years-would work without her mother's ring. She had her suspicions when she fled from King's Landing. The first spell she'd ever successfully done. When she cursed her name to warn her of danger. For if someone only addressed her as Alyssa outside of a formal conversation, they meant her harm. They meant danger.

So when Aegon had called after her using the name she was given at birth, she knew she'd never be safe in that castle as long as Aegon was king. She made the right decision to leave.

So before she jumped from the window onto Braxes back she set her wedding ring on the desk she was all too familiar with. To seven hells with what she saw for them. She told herself the only way she'd ever wear that ring again is if one of them was dead.

That was the last time she'd set foot in her mother's former chambers for a very long time.

When Alys landed back on Dragonstone, she ran to Rhaenyra. With every ounce of strength she had left in her, Alys ran. All the adrenaline and fear pumped through her veins, drowning out any reason or logic.

She had to tell her. She had to.

Daemon was the first to run into her, seeing the blotchy tears of his niece he'd become all too familiar with. He'd pulled her into his arms and held her tightly as she just wept. "Shh, it's alright. You're safe here with us now...we won't let them get another, little Alys."

"HE TOOK MY BROTHER!" She screamed at the top of her lungs, over and over. Her throat burned and itched, but she didn't care. She couldn't lose him, no. He was so young, so innocent. He was just a boy. "HE FUCKING TOOK HIM! HE KILLED MY FUCKING BROTHER!"

Jace stepped into the hall when he heard the screams. His eyes were bloodshot and drenched with tears he didn't care to hide. He'd just lost his baby brother. He just glared at Alys, watching her fall apart like she had before as a girl. But he felt nothing. Nothing but anger towards his cousin. "How does it feel, Alys?"

Daemon turned immediately, still holding onto Alys, who peaked through her tangled hair. His stepfather gave him a stern look. "Jacerys, go to your chambers."

"Why? No, she should know what defending that kinslayer did. Tell her where my brother's body is currently." Jace was hysterical with his laughter and anger battling it out inside of him.

She didn't need to be told...she'd seen it all. From start to finish.

And it broke everything inside of her.

"Jacerys." Daemon warned once more, but Jace wasn't letting up.

"In that fucking kinslayer's dragon...the same one you defended not too long ago." Jace scoffed then dealt the final blow that would knock her down into nothing. "You're just some traitor's whore."

Daemon released Alys and grabbed Jace by his ear, dragging him back to his chambers as he squealed like a child. Alys couldn't even find the humor in the way Daemon dragged him off.

All she felt was emptiness. All she felt was darkness. All she felt was the cold, nothing.

She went to her chambers, looking around at every book and every artifact that could help them win this war. She couldn't spend any more time crying.

She feared she'd never stop.

Aemond stared and stared at the desk for hours. He was drenched head to toe from the pouring rain. His whole body was shivering and tense as he looked at the golden ring his wife once wore.

She'd been here. She came back.

And she only left her ring.

She already knew.

War was officially here because of what he had done. What he had no intentions of doing in the first place.

It didn't matter what his intentions were. He killed Lucerys and his dragon, and Aegon was celebrating.

Aemond wanted no part in the celebration feast and hid in their former chambers. The chambers he would never share with her again.

His wife had made her choice, and he wasn't who she picked. She'd hate him forever for what he had done. There was no talking as far as she was concerned.

She would never love him again.

They would have to face each other in war. He didn't think he could do it. Everyone else was no problem, but her?

Aegon had sworn he wouldn't take her head like the rest, regardless of her loyalty to Rhaenyra.

But Aemond didn't believe him for one moment.