CHAPTER 6

"You look beautiful and just like your mother."

Aditi smiled at her father. "That's because I'm wearing Ma's dress." The long, flowing pale blue dress was perfect for the outdoor occasion.

A flash of sadness passed on her father's face, making her feel guilty.

"I didn't mean to upset you, Papa. I didn't have anything to wear for the party and didn't want to spend money on the elaborate gown Seema was suggesting I buy. So I thought I'd borrow Ma's clothes and alter them slightly rather than buy something brand new."

Her father shook his head. "No. No. You didn't do anything wrong. I just miss her so much. She used to love hosting parties."

Aditi remembered that as well. Her mother was a wonderful hostess who always ensured there was good food and that everyone had a great time. Aditi wasn't used to throwing parties. But she was determined to make her father proud that evening.

"All right. I'll see you later, Papa. I'll have to check on the arrangements."

Her father smiled. "You don't have to, Aditi. Let Seema take care of it. You already did enough. Just enjoy yourself tonight with your friends."

Aditi smiled. "I will, Papa. But still, I want to make sure things are running smoothly."

Kissing her father on his cheek, Aditi drew up her long dress to hurry behind the house where the party would be held.

It was a beautiful evening. The weather was cooler than in the morning, and the humidity was low. The event organizers had put up soft lanterns all over the garden area. Several round tables covered in white cloth were placed strategically so the guests could also mingle. Expensive imported flower arrangements were placed at the center. And just to make it more intimate, she had also added some wildflowers from the garden. Although the garden wasn't as beautiful and lush as it was when her mother was alive, it was still beautiful and professionally maintained adding to the ambience.

Aditi was excited and also slightly nervous. She hoped her father would like Rahul and would agree to them getting married soon. Although Rahul didn't have many common interests with her father, he was a good conversationalist.

Seema was quite chatty during the week and had informed her that although the guest list was limited to two hundred, it was a high-profile party which would include noted businessmen, a few politicians and a few longtime family friends.

Aditi wasn't surprised. Her father came from a modest background, but he had made high-profile contacts through her mother whose family, although no longer rich, was well-known.

One of those high-profile contact's face flashed in her mind, making her feel agitated. Harish Shaurya. That man was entrenched deep into politics, and since Aditi's mother came from a similar background and they were childhood friends, they spent a lot of time discussing those topics.

Did her mother feel drawn to power? Aditi knew her father was busy expanding his then modest business. Did her mother feel neglected?

No! Don't try to analyze all of that again!

She had spent enough days and years on thinking why her mother chose to leave her husband and daughter to go away with another woman's husband.

"All right," she whispered aloud. "I'm going to enjoy myself."

Taking a deep breath, she walked towards the musicians and instructed them to begin.

Soon, soft music filled the air. Picking her dress up, she went to the event organizer to make sure they have everything prepared as the guests would begin arriving.