Chapter One

an introduction to mint eye, the savior, and two disciples 

The savior lived a horrible life before she started the Mint Eye

The savior lived a horrible life before she started the Mint Eye. She had been born for the sole purpose of being forsaken by God, was separated from Her childhood best friend, and was raised by monsters. God compelled Her to commute to the cathedral in a poor neighborhood, where She met three young kids who needed to be saved from damnation and a man named V, who shone brightly like the sun. As She and V worked with each other to lead the kids to their perfect futures, She became more uneasy. Life had always been about pain and suffering for Her and those kids, and She couldn't take it anymore; She wanted happiness and peace for everyone. When she reconnected with Her childhood best friend, and found out that V would not support their plans for an eternal paradise, She left him to create the Mint Eye — Her plan to rid the world of the pain and fear that held so many people back in the darkness.

This is the only story that Marigold knows in full. She was eleven when she met the savior, during the time period when She began volunteering at the cathedral in the poor neighborhood Marigold came from. The savior had found her and saved her — rescued her from her abusive parents, changed her name, and placed her in the care of another before bringing her to the paradise of Magenta six months ago. She had believed that the savior abandoned her — that she wasn't really worthy of the salvation She gave to others — but She came back like always. She had been illuminated by the moon and street lights, watching Marigold as she sat on the swings by day and cared for an ill woman inside a dingy apartment by night. And then She took Marigold away, led her to a nice apartment in the city, and introduced her to true salvation before bringing her to the Magenta.

As one of the disciples of Mint Eye, Marigold knows that she has a deep past with the savior; after all, only the believers that She knew extremely well were given the highly coveted position of Disciple. But Marigold can't remember much of what happened to her before her salvation — after all, the savior's goal was to make the believers feel so safe in the Magenta that their past wounds would disappear from their life. All that Marigold can remember from her past is that she was the first person the savior helped, and because of that, she was deeply indebted to Her. Her faith in the Mint Eye and savior has always been unwavering, even when outside information found its way inside the Magenta and landed on her desk for review into the community library; nothing and no one would make her faith falter now. The savior was her light through the darkest moments of her life — moments she doesn't remember now because She has healed her of the wounds holding her down.

The Mint Eye is her family, community, her everything.

* * * 

"I wish the sun didn't have to set so soon. I like spending time with you here in the garden."

The Magenta's garden is one of Ray's greatest passions outside of being another Disciple of Information. After Marigold had approved a book on the language of flowers to be in the Magenta's library, he began to study them. He likes their aesthetic beauty, the subtlety behind the groupings he could make, and the power he has over the flowers. It makes him feel in control of something. For Marigold, she's just happy that her one and only friend has picked up a new hobby, spending less time in the computer room and more time outdoors.