Rudis' POV

In all her 30 years of working in countless castles, with countless jobs, has she ever meant a ruler like Lady Maximillian.

She's needed countless doughts for bread, sweeped several marble floors, and cared for several ladies, countesses, and duchesses. She's practically raised the girls, yet they always grew up to be like their mothers. Another copy and paste noble who looked at servants as if they were uglier than a devils' dam.

Rudis had left Castle Decre to serve in Castle Calypse after the lord and lady's wedding. Supposedly, she was hired to care for the lady. Nanny  her as her husband, fought a dragon lands away.

Weeks had passed, then years until her ladyship finally arrived. Of course, Rudis found other things to fulfill her time in the castle. Cleaning, cooking, whatever needed help. Safe to say, she wasn't pleased that the woman from whom she quit her previous role waited 3 years until she was forced out of her castle.

Her job wasn't to judge. It was to serve. Something Anne, her fellow maid, had to learn yet.

Now, 4 years later, she found herself combing through the lady's soft red locks.

Rudis shuddered as she thought of her past judgments. Assuming the former Duchess didn't want to take care of the Lord's land due to her status. Little did she know the woman who've she's come to care for like a daughter was trapped in a tiny room and whipped by her own father.

Not one helper in the castle could forgive themselves for their past thoughts.

That's doesn't mean she couldn't make it up to Maximillian. Obviously, Lady Calypse, who doesn't even know her Nanny, used to judge her the way nobles judged Rudis.

She choked back words of comfort as she groomed the lady. Her words were not needed nor desired. Maximillian only needed her warmth to fill the cold of her loneliness.

And Rudis was, well, the woman was her to fulfill the Lady's needs.

She watched as the woman finished the pitcher of herbal tea, snacking on a measly 2 pieces of bread, a few peas, and half a green apple.

Her heart stung for the woman as she dressed her in a simple nightgown. The door seemed too far as her feet tripped over each other. The urge to comfort the lady was strong, but Rudis needed to be professional.

'What would the Lord think if me, a servant, embraced his wife with a hug?'

She swung the door open before peaking her head from behind the door.

"Sleep well, M'Lady."

She whispered solemnly, looking at the lump underneath the blankets. Maximillian's shoulders were stiff as she didn't dare utter a response

'Please sleep M'Lady'