Chapter 0 : Encounter at the Pavement

“Ever since the incident, I've struggled to make eye contact with people. It's like their faces blur together or glitch out whenever I try to focus on them.

But now, with these zombies or whatever they are roaming the school, strangely enough, it's easier to look at everyone's faces.”

═════════════════

Disclaimer: This Chapter will
include blood and self harm. If you are uncomfortable with these topics, reading with caution is advised.

People, Places, Events and Diseases in this book are fictitious.

═════════════════

I release a heavy sigh, frustration mounting as I tap my pen against the table and chew on my fingernails. Questions swirl in my mind: "Why is this happening? How is this happening? Why am I even bothering to write here?" These thoughts haunt my days, leaving me sleepless at night.

"Hello. It’s me. Here I am again. The number of survivors reduces with each passing day. I've grown wary of the food supply, and I've gone without eating today…" My hand moves across the page, scribbling down my thoughts without concern for legibility. Who would read this anyway?

"I can't shake this feeling that it's not the food but those injections they administered. I can't be certain. But, I'm grateful my friends haven’t had the same fate as those who've succumbed here."

“I still feel guilty after what happened last week.”

"…where it all began."

"I couldn't save him. Helpless, I just stupidly watched as he was dying in front of me, his mouth foaming with the same sickly green substance like everyone else this has happened to."

I pause, staring blankly at the page, struggling to decipher my messy handwriting. Ink stains dot the paper, a testament to my frustration. "And to think, I believed we were safe after arriving here. What a joke," I mutter with a bitter scoff.

"Miss Wilson, please come with me," a voice interrupts, I glance over my shoulder to see her face once more. "Just a moment," I reply with a strained smile, annoyance evident in my voice. I sigh as I close my notebook, ensuring it's securely tucked away in my bag.

“What now?” I murmur. The woman smiled at me before guiding me inside a room, where a man seemingly a military officer was inside. Sitting in front of multiple computers. “Huh-? Wait you are-”

“Akito! Give me back my backpack!” A feminine voice yelled out, I attempted to look behind but was almost knocked down on the ground. I look up at the cause. “Whoops! Sorry Athena! Gotta run!” A classmate, Akito, who was trying to make his sister chase him, quickly ran away. I sighed.

The school is as lively as ever.

June 4th, 2042. I am Athena Wilson, residing in Naraehaeng from South Korea. Studying as an advanced education scholar in “Harakana”, a popular but hard to get into private school here. Due to that, most of my classmates are from other countries - like me.

I continue to walk my usual route to school, stretching away my fatigue on the way. I gazed at the sunny sky, birds chirping annoyingly in the trees. The air, though fresh, carried a tinge of pollution from the traffic. The front of the school was already crammed with students.

However, my good mood was abruptly shattered when I laid eyes on an annoying brat directly in my path.

"well look who it is!" She taunted in a mocking tone, Signature arms crossed and lips curled up into a teasing smirk. It was Celeste, a transferee from another city, since, well, we’re classmates. A girl who consistently dropped by solely to insult and annoy me, delighting in spreading baseless rumors about me for no apparent reason.