The Repetitive Cycle of a Prodigy

I lay down, looking up at the sky as I think about all that I've accomplished. Being top of the class, doing well in sports, recruited by many great universities, among other lists of achievements for my age. Having said that, I always look fondly upon the faces of those who set my expectations and their cheers for my success. Though, that is up to the extend of that.

I'm still currently in high school, a year before graduation, and at the top as I have mentioned before. If you asked me what I plan to do, you'd expect a variety of options in my future career path.

I'm skilled enough to go pro and even potentially be able to play for the national team, though I'll have train a bit harder if I want to reach the level of the best in the world and even more to reach legendary status.

I'm knowledgeable in every class I've attended. Everything my mind consumes enters my brain and remains in it until I need it. I excel in math, literature, art, biology, geography, space, and all others. I've been regarded as my school's top prodigy, even past just my city.

In all, I'm the very definition of the word GENIUS, but...

??: "Oh, you're here already?"

While I do appreciate every compliment and smile, I always saw right through everything. I'd stroke my own ego with their hungry eyes and words, but it only went so far before I slowly began to yearn for sincerity. Every compliment directed towards the genius that is Y/n L/n was followed by a favor, and every smile shown to the prodigy Y/n L/n comes with a cost.

Despite attaining the title of genius that I strove for so desperately in the past for their attention. In the end, I only encountered both jealousy and greed. Use and be used. Ego and insanity. Loneliness and discomfort.

Y/n: "I'm always here.."

I would look in the mirror and question myself, what is the purpose of obtaining everything in my grasp if it brings nothing I truly desire. If I can refer back to the original question, what do I plan to do? Exactly what is expected of me. Attend university and pass with excellent grades. What are my goals after?.. Nothing.

??: "*sighs* Today sucked"

My mind could wander and think of all that it wants, but in the end, I'm shackled by chains of fate to follow what is expected of me. I am the pride of the family and viewed as the crown of my city.

Y/n: "You failed at something?"

I look over to see another boy in my grade sit beside me. His name is Kentaro Uzaki. He is an invisible boy in the eyes of all beside mine. He doesn't excel in sports and barely scrapes by in academics. He's alright in appearance while being hard working in the classroom. His grades are average at best and just slightly below average at worst. He is my opposite, average.

This boy leaves school on time and probably arrives home to family welcoming him. He would eat a warm cooked meal by his mother or sister and speak on how exhausting school is for him while those around him tease or scold the boy. I'm certain he stays up late playing video games or reading manga before realizing he might not get enough rest for the day.

I always pondered to myself, would I have been like that if I hadn't taken such a route? Would my parents have been the same as I project them to be in his life?

Kentaro: "Nah. I stayed up all night thinking about some questions that I'm sure you won't get right this time"

Y/n: "I'll allow you to test my knowledge then"

The boy seems to find amusement in picking my brain with questions. He isn't really asking anything of me but acknowledgment if he can't beat me, something no one has ever done.