16.1 - Stormbringer

Começar do início

Dazai smiled and held out his hand to help the investigator stand up. He saw through everything with the eyes of a sage, seeming to stare at a place that wasn't anywhere on Earth.

"At this rate, Chuuya will kill N and if that happens, he will no longer be a human being. But I want to see Chuuya suffer as a human being. So, let's go stop him," Dazai trilled.

"Well then, Investigator-San," you began, handing him a slip of paper. "I've got a job for you to do."

----------

Security alarms resounded like a disaster that could spell the end of the world had come.

The red emergency lights flashed, completely changing the scenery of the facility. It was like you were inside a monster's stomach.

All of the radio alerts intended for the general personnel were being set off, firing repeatedly on all lines.

"Intruder alert. All internal intelligence staff dispose of the designated documents and promptly evacuate. Tactics team, deploy our best equipment. This is not a drill. This is not a drill."

The investigator continued to selectively release clamorous alarms for the staff to hear.

He locked up the fainted Shirase in an equipment storage room, shutting the door and pressing the electronic lock.

"I changed the lock here to need a time fluctuating type encryption key. This should keep Shirase-san safe for a while," he announced.

"Good work. Next is Chuuya-kun," you nodded.

Dazai and you started walking ahead, without a care in the world for Shirase.

"Please wait, Dazai-San, L/N-Dono," he called out to your backs. "When talking about Chuuya-sama earlier, you said, 'as a human being'. Do you know whether or not Chuuya-sama is human?"

Dazai hesitated, before finally replying.

"I don't know," Dazai admitted. "Both N and Verlaine said that Chuuya wasn't a human. I didn't think that was the case, so I read this notebook, 'Rimbaud's notes'—you could say the entire incident started because of this."

As Dazai said that, he took an old, leather bound notebook from his pocket.

Rimbaud's notes.

Rimbaud's notes was a log of sorts that the now deceased gifted spy Rimbaud secretly wrote. It's a mass of state secrets since it contains information related to missions done during the Great War, but even though it was rumored to exist, there was no information floating around surrounding it's discovery.

"How did you manage to get it?" The Investigator asked.

"You're more than welcome to try to find out, but no matter what I'll only tell you lies. I'm a liar, after all."

Dazai-san wore an enigmatic smile on his face. The machine clearly attempted to scrutinize him, only to become more shocked due to whatever the scans revealed.

"We don't really have time to hold a tea party and chat. First comes finding Chuuya-kun," you sighed, gently nudging Dazai ahead.

"How will we do that?"

"Finding Chuuya is always easy." Dazai-san smiled as if he could see through any and everything. "If you head towards whatever is making the loudest noise, he'll be there."

The three of you walked down the corridors, pushing past the throngs of panicking researchers as they evacuated the area.

"There's no evidence saying Chuuya is a human, but there's also no evidence saying Chuuya isn't one." Dazai said as he walked. "Verlaine's an outsider, so to speak, who wanted to steal Chuuya. It's not like he directly confirmed that Chuuya was a man-made ability. As for N, he could very well be lying."