• Westeros

— DESCRIPTION —

DESCRIPTION

Westeros is one of the four known continents within the known world, (the others being Essos, Sothoryos, and Ulthos). A majority of the lands are composed of a political entity hailed the Seven Kingdoms, while the farthest most point beyond the Wall is inhabited by groupings of people known as the Free Folk. The closest land masses to Westeros are the Free Cities across the Narrow Sea from the eastern coast, and the Summer Isles located across the Summer Sea to the south. The people who live within the borders of this continent are commonly referred to as "Westerosi."

GEOGRAPHY

The continent of Westeros is relatively long and narrow in shape, extending from the southernmost principality of Dorne to the uncharted Land of Always Winter. According to semi-canon sources, Westeros is similar in size to the real-world continent of South America. While there is not an official scale to measure distances between locations in the ASOIAF universe, there are a few descriptions of landmarks that help reveal a rough estimation of size.

In regards to the Wall, a large formation of ice that separates the Seven Kingdoms from the Land of Always Winter, its size is stated to be 100 leagues long or 300 miles (482.803 kilometers). And in comparison to the rest of the continent, that puts Westeros at roughly 3,000 miles (4828 kilometers) from north to south and around 900 miles (1448 kilometers) from east to west at its widest points.

CLIMATE

From dry and arid deserts to towering snow-capped peaks, the sheer size of Westeros allows for the lands to appear drastically different from territory to territory.

The kingdoms of the Riverlands, the Westerlands, and the Crownlands share similar climates of a more temperate origin. They experience average temperatures, ranging from cold to hot depending on the shifting seasons that last anywhere from a few months to a few years.

In the northern portion of Westeros, commonly known as the North, the climate typically consists of temperatures that drift subtly from cool to downright frigid. It is common for this region to experience thick snow falls, even when the rest of the continent is well into the summer season.

The Reach has a climate more comparable to that of the Crownlands, but this region of sprawling fields tends to hold more moisture within the air, allowing their agriculture to flourish far more than the rest of the Seven Kingdoms.

The Stormlands maintain a rather temperate climate as well, but with a majority of the region bordering the Narrow Sea and the Sea of Dorne, the differing temperatures of land and water regularly bring forth storms of varying intensities. As a result, the weather shifts drastically from day-to-day.

Dorne, being the southernmost point of the continent, contains a climate of hotter temperatures, blanketing the region in rocky mountain ranges and long stretches of desert uninhabitable by man. However, the summer seasons offer enough rain to keep portions of Dorne liveable.