17.

"DOUBLE-EDGED DAGGER OF STUBBORNNESS

"DOUBLE-EDGED DAGGER OF STUBBORNNESS.."

---¤𖠁¤---

Everyone had dispersed rather quickly. Alicent and her children bolted for their chambers, desperate to get away from the sneers and glares sent their way. Rhaenyra and her children were ushered to a Maesters like they would drop dead if they so much as spilt just a drop of blood onto the floor. Watching as Aemond is rushed away by his Mother, her heart clenches as he goes farther and farther away. Standing frozen in the hallway, she can faintly hear her Mother call out to her, telling her it was time to go back to her chambers. No, she couldn't just walk away. The guilt in her stomach won't let her.

Pushing past her Mother, she makes a beeline for Aemond, guilt bubbling up inside of her for not doing more. She had to apologize. If not for doing more in the attack, then for not speaking up more during the argument. She let them humiliate him. Downplaying the damage done in the attack. A good friend doesn't do that. A good person doesn't let that happen. Hearing her Mother call after her, she ignores her, chasing after Ser Cole. She knew where they were staying. She just needed to be let inside. Almost as if he sensed her presence, Ser Cole picks up his pace, almost sprinting towards Aemond's chambers.

"I want to see Aemond." She states, "Let me in, Ser Cole."

"I am afraid the Young Prince will not be accepting any guests as of this time. Go back, Jocelyn. Come back in the morning, maybe then he'll be up to it then.." Ser Cole dismisses, his voice cold.

"NO! You forget your place, Cole. You're in Driftmark, my land. In High Tide, my house. I am Jocelyn Velaryon, Lady of the Tides. You will speak my name with respect, Ser Cole." She sneers, fury burning in her eyes. "Now, as I said, I want to see him. NOW!"

"Lady Velaryon⎯"

"Move or be moved, I won't ask again. He is my friend⎯He was my friend." She cuts in, her voice cracking. "I⎯I made a mistake not doing more for him. I want to apologize for it. I can't live with myself walking away. I can't turn my back on him. Not again."

Coming to a sharp stop at Aemond's door, he stands guard, purposefully blocking the door from her. Opening her mouth to speak again, she can't get a word out, her throat drying up. What more can she say to him? Shutting her mouth, tears threaten to build up in her eyes, her bottom lip trembling slightly. She had so much that she wanted to say, but she just couldn't get it out. It was like something was holding it back no matter how much she pressed and tried to force it out.

Looking back up at him, he doesn't respond, not even a disgusted mumble under his breath. Which was kind of comforting. Sniffling softly, she wipes her eyes clean of tears, putting on her bravest face. No, she would not cry. Not again. Opening her mouth to speak, he silently moves out of the way, opening the door. The door creaks open. Keeping a cool face, his eyes trained straight ahead, acting like he had not just opened the door for her.