XL

After being checked by multiple healers, to Eadrid's dislike but Aragorn's insistence, Aragorn finally felt comfortable with her returning back to the war at hand.

Gandalf paced in the Great Hall of Minas Tirith, and Aragorn, Eadrid, Gimli, Legolas and Eomer watched him restlessly. 

Eadrid stood next to Eomer, who kept on glancing at her watchfully. She knew that he had tried very hard to hold back tears when he saw her, awake.

In fact, everyone glanced at her out of the corner of their eyes. They couldn't help it, Eadrid looked to different, so ethereal.

Though she was a beautiful woman before, the aura around her seemed to emit grace and charm. Every step she took looked as though she was gliding, even the brief movement of her arm was elegant.

Eadrid thought that she should feel different, out of place in a strange and unfamiliar body, but she didn't. This new body felt completely natural, as if her old body was the one out of place.

Gandalf stopped pacing and turned to them. "Frodo has passed beyond my sight. The darkness is deepening."

"If Sauron had the Ring we would know it." Aragorn said.

Eadrid looked to them, and looked to the hall around her, a single black throne at the end of the great room. The throne for the King of Gondor.

"It its only a matter of time." Gandalf said. "He has suffered a defeat, yes, but behind the walls of Mordor our enemy is regrouping."

Gimli huffed. "Let him stay there! Let him rot! Why should we care?"

"Because 10,000 Orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom."

Gimli didn't have the words to respond.

Gandalf raised his eyebrows, a look of defeat on his face. "I have sent him to his death."

Eadrid said to Gandalf, "No. There is still hope for Frodo. He needs time and safe passage across the plains of Gorgoroth." She turned to Aragorn. "We can give him that."

"How?" Gimli asked.

Aragorn nodded, understanding Eadrid. "Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands." He turned to the rest. "Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate."

Gimli coughed, choking on his pipe.

Eomer shook his head. "We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms."

"No." Eadrid nodded. "Not for ourselves. But we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's eye fixed upon us. Keep him blind to all else that moves."

Legolas nodded, a slight smile on his face. "A diversion."

"Certainty of death, small chance of success..." Gimli shrugged. "What are we waiting for?"

Gandalf shook his head. "Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait."

Aragorn looked to Eadrid, a look of fierce certainty on his face. "Oh, I think he will."

_____

Aragorn and Eadrid now stood, alone, in the Great Hall. They stood in front of the throne, and in front of it lay the Palantir, covered with a cloth.

Aragorn nodded to her and she nodded back, replaying in her mind their plan.

Aragorn picked up the sphere and uncovered it, eyes tightly closed. He held it up to his face and looked into it, facing the Eye of Sauron.

Eadrid stood to the side so as not to be seen, not yet.

"Long have you hunted me. Long have I eluded you. No more!" Aragorn lifted Anduril in front of the Palantir. "Behold, the Sword of Elendil!"

"Oh... But you are nothing without your Queen." A terrible voice came from the sphere, and all around them, like sharp nails scratching eardrums. "I do believe that she is dead, is she not?"

Aragorn nodded to Eadrid, and she took the Palantir from his hands. She held it in front of her, feet steady on the ground.

It hissed as it saw her, standing there in all of her glory.

Eadrid, like Aragorn, unsheathed her sword, further proving that it was her, and that she was more then alive.

The eye burned red, but suddenly changed and faded to black.

Eadrid blinked, and suddenly she was in a large field of grass.

"Join me..." The same scratching voice sounded from behind her.

Eadrid whipped around, sword ready. 

Instead of an awful creature that she expected to take the from of that horrible voice, she saw a man, standing before her.

He was tall, lean, had blonde hair and blue eyes. 

He was... handsome.

"Won't you join me?" His voice was sweet, far from whatever said those same words a moment ago.

Eadrid's hand dropped, and her sword fell to the ground. "Who are you?" She asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"Eadrid..." The man took a step closer. "Join me, and we will rule all of Middle Earth for the rest of eternity. You will never lose me, I will stay by your side forever. I would never think of leaving you. Not like the ranger."

Eadrid looked up at him as he stood over her. He smelled like flowers and cedar wood. Eadrid closed her eyes, inhaling the sweet scent. 

The man lifted his hand and cupped her cheek. "Be my Queen, Eadrid. Rule with me."

But suddenly, he didn't smell as sweet.

Eadrid jumped back, holding her hands up between her and the man. "Sauron." She muttered, taking steps away from him. Shaking, unsteady steps, as the power radiating from him was turning her blood cold.

The man's eyes darkened, and Eadrid's steps became faster, more urgent.

And suddenly, she was back in the Great Hall, and the Palantir fell from her hands.

Eadrid stood gasping in horror. Aragorn moved in front of her and grasped her shoulders. "Eadrid, what did you see?" 

Eadrid tried to take a deep breath and shook her head. She looked at Aragorn, "If he did not know we were coming, he knows now."