Part 1 of 3

You were sitting on the carpeted floors of Home. Beside you, Wally Darling was scribbling in the guestbook. Coming into this world of puppets and sunshine was a shock at first. You'd think you'd get accustomed to all the nice neighbours that tolerate and appreciate you more than 90% of humanity, but... That bastard that dragged you here The reason why you can never rest easy, Wally Darling
He's aloof and innocent in front of others, but you know better. You've seen the eyes on the walls. The notes scattered around the neighbourhood... You've even ventured into the depths of Home. You couldn't say a thing to the others, though. That's how Barnaby and Eddie died last time. That's how you almost died as well.

The two sides of Wally contrasted harshly. It's as if they were two completely different puppets. One was childlike in nature and inquisitive. The other was knowledgeable and all-knowing. Horrifying. You saw how he ate and how he could easily wipe your existence from the neighbourhood if he wanted.
That's why you had to play nice and be a good neighbour. You don't know how many times the other neighbours have died, and you don't want to join them. "Is something the matter, neighbour?"
You were pulled away into the pitch-black eyes of Wally. His eyes dilate whenever he looks at you. You've been staring at him for the entirety of your inner monologue. You tore your eyes away and continued doodling on paper.
Wally repeated his question. He never got an answer. Home creaked and banged to divert Wally's attention. You've always gotten along with Home well. It was alive. Something is welcome in this land of eternal sunshine and plush embraces.
Sometimes, if you'd listen hard enough, you'd hear a drumming. Like a heartbeat, it was a comforting sound, unlike the violent bangs on the door and the sounds of screaming outside late at night. You never understood home; you tried learning Morse code, but it wasn't your forte. Home was helpful, though, watchful and obviously a servant to Wally but still caring in a way. You can count on one hand how many times they saved you from certain death.

Your masterpiece was finished, or well, not at all, but you got tired of doodling and simply pushed the paper and art supplies away. Wally moved over to the drawing and inspected it. Spirals and eyes Much like the ones he liked to draw. For a moment, the more violent side of him surfaced, but he quickly put the drawing away and started talking. "What a good artist you are, neighbour!" You half-heartedly listened to his praise. You attempted a conversation once more,
"Why bring me here?" You get ignored.
You sigh and rest your head on the floor. Your head springs up when a quiet whisper leaves Wally's lips.
"What was that?"
"What was what, neighbour?"
Wally stood up and dusted himself off; he then extended a hand towards you.
You both walked out of home; a sunny day awaited you two. Such is the usual weather in this world.

It was run... 32? 35. Each run would be disturbed by you or Wally. And each time you'd lose a bit of yourself with it. You remember a time when you attacked the friendly neighbours at Welcome Home. Wally probably remembers as well. You had enough sanity to stop yourself, however, unlike the man who walks beside you. Wally's 3-foot stature held your hand as he dragged you onward; his strength was at least superhuman.

You were approaching Howdy's bodega. The place was pretty crowded today. seemed like an event.
The wind chimes rang as you entered. Howdy was chatting away with Sally and Barnaby. Talking funny business again, it seemed.
"Oh! There you are, Wally! And it's a pleasure to see our new neighbour with you again!"

"Hello barnaby.... Hello Julie-"
Barnaby looked at his best friend and laughed.
"What a coincidence that you joined us, little buddy!".
Howdy laughed heartily at the joke, and Wally tilted his head in confusion.
"...Hello howdy"

"What's so funny, neighbours?"
Sally explains that they all found a coin while walking in the neighbourhood today.
"Can I see it?" You speak, gathering the attention of the room around you.
You inspected the coin closely, and Wally went nonverbal as the other three steered the conversation.
"It's something out of a noir film, almost!" Sally exclaims
Well, hopefully not! I'd rather not become the neighbourhood's funniest grey dog!"
"Ohoho! This almost calls for an investigation! I'm sure Jewls would love to hear this! Don't you think so, walls?"
Wally is startled from his thoughts; his eyes dilate.
"Julie? I think Julie would like a new game to play." Wally smiles.
"Don't you think so, neighbour?"
"Sure." You were mostly focused on the coin in your hand. That right there was a Franklin half dollar, produced in the 1960s.
Shabby quality, covered in dirt.
Money from your world... being here? As far as you knew, brands from your world didn't exist here. Seeing as how Howdy sells Brickero's cereal and cups of Joe that are just diluted orange juice and Breenberry ice cream, whatever that was,
The bodega quiets down a little, and Barnaby cracks another joke. You never laugh. It's not that you didn't like these puppets. They were nice. Sweet. Caring. But they were dead. As far as you knew, nobody here was real. Except maybe for Wally and Home. It left a bitter aftertaste.
"Well, my fellows and fellays! Would you care to purchase anything?"
"Wally needs red and green paint, and I need something edible."
"Didn't know you started speaking for each other? Wowie, I feel heartbroken... I can't believe my little buddy got a new best friend!" Barnaby half-joked.
"We're not friends." -
"We're the best of friends. -
Sally couldn't help but giggle.
Wally was still gripping your arm; you had to play nice for now.
Howdy handed you your things in a paper bag and cashed them in on three jokes and a little quip.
You were the one usually telling most of the jokes, and Wally would have to practise for half a day for a single joke.
"What do you call a sad coffee? A depresso," your execution was lacking, but today was too tiresome to put in any effort.
Howdy chuckled but then gave Wally an expectant look.
"What about you walls? Got any jokes? Cracks? Quips?"
"I do"
"You do? Well, let's hear it then!"
Wally straightened up his posture, tightening the ascot around his plush neck.
"Why did Barnaby get arrested? Because he's a serial licker."
The execution was made funnier by Wally's monotone voice.
"Ohohohoho! You never disappoint, dear fellow!"
"Put the other joke and quip on my tab." Barnaby winked at Wally, who smiled up at his best friend.
"We'll be going now." You walked out as Wally said goodbye to each individual.
"Oh! And don't forget about the rehearsal later today, dearie!" Sally yelled out to you.
Right, the rehearsal. A play about... a pastry princess? Queen? Who knows... Julie's the princess, you're playing as the love interest, and Frank is the king of marshmallows or something.
Speaking of Frank, there was Frank. Frankly was in front of you and Wally, falling face-first into the mud after getting toppled by Eddie. You laughed at that, getting another harsh tug from Wally. Right, laughing at misery was not neighborly.
You and Wally helped Frank and Eddie. It took quite a bit to tug the clumsy mailman up, or maybe it's just your lack of arm strength.
Frank frankly gave Eddie a harsh look, though it softened immediately after the mailman apologised. It was clear the two were soft on each other. If this wasn't proof enough, then the many times one sacrificed themselves to save the other are. It used to sting at first, seeing the two go through the heartbreak and loss.
Wally held your hand and smiled. You looked down at the puppet and sneered. An ugly look on you, he'd say, and you couldn't care less.
Frank starts talking, thankfully.
"My my, what a day... At least my tomatoes aren't ruined. Be careful, won't you next time, Mr.Dear?"
"Agh, sorry Frank I didn't mean to, I swear. God, I should've been more careful delivering those packages. Luckily, nothing broke!"
"Who are you delivering these boxes to, neighbour?" Wally asks, looking at the many boxes on the ground.
Oh, I'm delivering these to the bodega! Howdy's got a large shipment this week."
Hmm, well, I did need to go there to get more fertiliser for my plants. I'll join you, Mr. Dear." Frank picks up some of the smaller boxes for Eddie. It was a kind thing, and Eddie thanked Frank --- not without insisting on carrying the boxes himself, of course. Frank simply hushed him and smiled, and Eddie smiled back.
"Won't you join us? Mr.darling and-"
"No. We just left the bodega, actually," Wally explains.
Oh, alright then! Have a good day, you two!" Frank and Eddie head off.
You continue onward. Home's following eyes are a comfort at times. Now? Not so much... Wally was staring at you intently as you walked. The creep had a love for eye contact, much to your dismay.
The sky had a reddish hue, never a good sign. You turn to look at Home.
Wait a moment. Where did Home go?
Where they had stood was a hole of black, looking infinitely deep and with a spiral surrounding its edges. An eye opens, a hand grabs your leg; it has five fingers, and as soon as you blink, everything goes back to normal.
"What's wrong, neighbour?"
You were lying on the plush grass with Wally. Julie was to your right.
You grabbed Wally by the throat; he had done it again. Used his weird eldritch abilities to skip the day along.
Wally's eyes dilated as black sludge left his mouth.
Julie screamed.
Fuck, there went another run. You were so sick of this. So very tired.
You drifted off again, and you knew you'd wake up again inside of Home. Wally will greet you in the morning, and you'll go through this day again, over and over, till you get it right. Until it goes perfectly.
Huh... Now that you think about it, you think he whispered 'sorry'.