After a trip to Gringotts, to refill his wallet, Harry's first stop was the apothecary, for potions ingredients. It was there, that Harry was reminded of his unwanted companion. 

He was looking over hornbush leaves, when a voice said,

You won't want to get those.

Harry jumped slightly, and nearly whipped around to find the speaker, when he realized that the voice was familiar.

Forgotten me already?

Harry could hear the smirk in Riddle's voice, and tried to ignore the heat he could feel rising in his face. Instead of replying, Harry continued to peruse the jars of leaves.

Do you see the discoloration at the ends of the fronds?

Harry looked closer and found Riddle was right, the tips of the leaves were a pale, sickly yellow instead of the vibrant floral pink the rest of the leaf was.

That means it's been a while since they were harvested. The older the leaves, the less potent they are. They'll be next to useless in potion making.

Harry had to admit that he hadn't known that. He'd never had to pick his own ingredients before, Hagrid had just got him the starting kit for first years, and mrs. Weasley had gotten them for him last year.

Potions, Poisons, and The Thin Line Between. It explains the best ingredients and the signs of expired ingredients.

How do you know about it? Harry questioned Riddle silently.

I grew up in an orphanage. If I wanted to know something, I had to find it myself.

It made sense. Before he'd met Hermione he had to do all of his own searching. Looking through library books to complete his homework. The hardest part had been making sure his grades were believably less then average, so the Dursleys wouldn't get mad at him for out doing 'precious Diddy-kinns'. A habit made easier by copying Ron's study habits, rather then continuing his own. It helped that he knew next to nothing about the wizarding world.

Why must you stoop to their level? They aren't a part of the wizarding world, why should their standards be the ones you adhere to?

That also made sense. But how was he supposed to not hide himself? Even his friends didn't know who Harry was. He wasn't sure he knew himself.

Why don't we find out?

Why not? He was stuck with Riddle anyway, he might as well get something out of it.

The rest of the day was spent shopping. Getting everything he needed for the coming year, and then browsing some of the books Riddle suggested. He ended up having to get an extension charm on his trunk, adding a whole second compartment for his books, but he felt it was worth it. The past two years had been agony, not knowing anything. He hated the feeling, and was quietly glad that this year he would be rid of it.

During the last few days of his stay, Hermione and Ron found him at Florean Fortescue's Icecream Parlor, a half melted icecream forgotten in front of him, the spoon held loosely in his hand, as he read a book titled, 'Dark Defense and the Light it Holds'.

"Harry!"

Hermione's voice startled him out of his thoughts, and Harry looked up to find his two best friends standing by his table.

"Hermione! Ron!" He carefully set his book and spoon down, before he lept to his feet and pulled then both into a big hug.

"I missed you both! How was your summers?"

"Brilliant!" Ron said excitedly, "much less interesting then yours though, apparently. Why'd you blow up you're aunt?"

"It wasn't on purpose."

Harry had eventually written to them both, explaining what had happened, though he hadn't mentioned Sirius.

"I can't believe you didn't get into trouble!" Hermione stated, "especially after last year! The ministry isn't very consistent, are they?"

"Slow down, Hermione," Ron rolled his eyes, "do you want him to be punished?"

Hermione's eyes widened,

"Of course not, Ronald! I'm just saying-!"

"It's alright, Hermione." Harry interrupted, "I still can't believe it either."

They all sat down, and Harry got them both icecreams.

"What are you reading, Harry?" Hermione asked, pointing to the book lying on the middle of the table.

"Oh!" Harry had almost forgotten about it. "It's a book on defense magic. After last year, I figured it couldn't hurt to learn a bit more on my own. Who knows what kind of teacher we'll have this year."

Even Ron seemed interested by the idea, up until Harry and Hermione started talking books.

Riddle chimed in a couple times, though only Harry could hear him, and he couldn't always fit what Riddle said into the conversation without being questioned with things he couldn't answer. So Harry's side of the conversation was much more interesting then just what he and Hermione were saying.

Ron decided, after he'd finished his icy treat and his two friends were still talking about books, that they needed a distraction, before Harry became another Hermione. 

"Did you see the Firebolt, Harry?"

Harry grinned at Ron, even as Hermione rolled her eyes at then both.

"I did. It's beautiful."

And as easily as that, the topic changed to Quidditch.

Once they had all finished their icecreams, they headed off to find school supplies. Harry had everything, so he merely enjoyed his friends company, and chatted with them. For the few hours they spent roaming Diagon Alley, Harry managed to put everything with Riddle, and Sirius out of his mind, and he had a rare moment of optimism. Perhaps this year at Hogwarts would be peaceful.

Idk if Hornbush is a real potions ingredient, I made it up.

Hope you enjoyed!

Bakeku67