Chapter Three

He was exhausted, not just mentally but physically as well. Between the grim reality that Gerard was gone and the sound of Alex's quiet sobs while laying beside him on their shared bed, he hadn't slept whatsoever. They were grieving; Gerard's death had brought mixed feelings of sorrow for them all.

People who openly expressed their grief, such as Eugene and Rowan; others who held their heads high for everyone else's sake, much like Ben himself and Gray; and others who seemed to have almost completely resigned. Teddy was almost cut off from reality when the news first emerged, while Alex had mellowed down completely. Quiet, meek, and almost fragile, which would contrast with the random bursts of energy he would have, whether it was sadness or anger, would come as a shock to everyone.

Alex hadn't been one who had quite learned how to express his feelings properly; Ben knew that well. Whenever he was upset, it would manifest itself in his anger. He would slowly burn himself out before allowing any sadness to show, and even then he would refuse to ever let a soul see it due to his fear of being seen as weak. So seeing him so utterly bleak and vulnerable made Ben feel helpless.

He sighed, shuffling closer to him but not reaching out, simply making sure Alex knew he was there. It was all he could do.

[08:00AM]

"You look tired, Ben."

"I didn’t get too much sleep last night; it looks like you didn’t either."

Ben glanced over at Gray, who had visible eyebags that stood out against his soft features. "I don't think any of us did; not only was there emotional shock, but Jake Ji's death is slowly cementing the fact that if someone that strong wasn't resistant to this sick game, then no one is really safe."

He looked away, staring at the wall in front of them. Gray was right; it was the reason they now stuck in groups. "Donald Na spoke to me yesterday after the trial." He froze, his head snapping over to Gray once more. "Donald Na??" He repeated, a bit taken aback, 'What could Donald have wanted with Gray?' Gray seemed to have noticed his shocked expression as he answered before Ben could form a question.

"He suggested an alliance; I didn’t give him an answer yet. I thought you should be the one to make a decision."

"I see. Donald Na is smart. But he's also cunning; the same way that he can be of help, he could also easily throw us under the bus."

"I thought so, but he did say something else that I haven't stopped thinking about."

"What is it?"

"He mentioned that there was most likely someone working with the mastermind."

"What?"

Gray nodded, confirming that Ben heard him right. He looked over at Ben, stepping a bit closer as he explained what Donald told him. Ben's thoughts raced as he went through the possibilities, of course he trusted his friends wholeheartedly which only left the union. Any of Jake’s friends seemed unlikely considering circumstances. 

His thoughts were interrupted by the bell signaling the start of the day. “Guess we have to go” He had a grim look as he stared off in the direction of the murder hall as they ended up calling it. Gray gave a small nod as they both walked off in the direction of the hall. 

 [The main hall, 08:30 AM]

The still silence in the room was loud; nobody was really in a mood to talk whatsoever. Patiently waiting for the game master's distorted voice.

"Are you all ready for round 3?" There it was. The sickeningly joyful tone "It seems like you all seem rather down; not to worry, I have just the motivation."