"I know they think we're heroes," began Neville from Kates's other side, this time choosing to speak quietly. "But from the way they look when they're talking about us, you'd think we did something wrong." Kates silently agreed; suddenly in need of a distraction, she was grateful when Harry began the trials. Almost as if a switch were flipped, she was back in high spirits, looking forward to seeing the first broom go in the air.

Truthfully, trials weren't too exciting (other than the drama that would occur this time, of course, but that's beside the point). Drills were a great way of seeing how a potential player would do during the season, but really Kates loved them because it meant the season would indeed be starting soon.

As a kid, Quidditch had been the one thing Kates Kinley could enjoy that her parents approved of. She couldn't care less if they approved of her or not (as shown by her actions over the past several years), but there were a few moments with her parents and brother that she could look back on and smile, and those were all thanks to Quidditch. She had grown up sitting in the French Minister's box and watching countless French National Team matches, and whilst they were incredibly disappointing (the team had certainly seen better days), they were still thrilling and entertaining. It was her parents, she realized, that she had to thank for her love of the sport.

Huh, she thought to herself. At least they were good for something.

The Chaser trials were a hilarious mess. A few flyers had merit, but their skill was overshadowed by foolish first-years, Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs, and gaggles of giggling girls. Kates had a few good laughs, and as the last group of potential Chasers landed she had forgotten all about the other students in the stands. As the Beater trials began, Dean and Seamus slumped onto the bench in front of where Kates and the others sat, both looking rather defeated.

"Told you so," muttered Seamus, and Dean, who sat with his legs on either side of the bench as to face his friends better, rolled his eyes but didn't respond.

"At least you two are in reserves," said Kates, offering them a reassuring smile.

"As much as I want to play, I hope we aren't needed," said Dean, looking a little less pitiful now that he wasn't putting up with Seamus' pessimism. "Ginny, Katie, and Demelza deserved the spots anyway, they did brilliantly."

The Beater tryouts were far less exciting than the Chaser tryouts, but Harry did have to throw several people off the field once he told them they didn't make the team. Kates found herself awaiting the Keeper trials, and as they began, she leaned forward with interest. Ron, she noticed, was getting considerable attention from Lavender Brown, but he merely gave her an awkward smile and searched the stands for someone else. For whom, Kates wasn't sure, but his eyes found hers for a moment and his smile became genuine. She beamed back at him, giving him a thumbs up in encouragement, then he mounted his broom and took to the skies.

Perhaps it was because of her skill in Charms, or because she was sitting right beside her, but Hermione's little Confundus charm was not lost on Kates. She turned to her friend, who looked at her with wide eyes as she felt her gaze on her. Then, Kates donned an amused smirk.

"I wish I had thought of that," she said, and Hermione bit back a laugh. "Not really a fan of McLaggen."

"Is anyone?" said Hermione, and the two girls giggled together before returning their attention to the trials. The charm, they silently decided, would be added to the ever-growing list of their shared secrets.