Chapter 13

It doesn't hurt, not at first, and other than an odd pressure to her stomach, like getting punched, she doesn't feel it, and she gruffly shoves the stalker away just fine. But then it registers, this warm sticky feeling spreading across her stomach, dripping down, as she stares at the now bloody kitchen knife clutched in the woman's hands. Chorong's legs give in, and she falls. There's an odd silence as she's laid on the ground, the entire world around her almost pleasantly still as the warmth of her own blood spreads over her, the thick liquid seeping between her fingers. And then, a scream. A despairing, soul-wrenching wail that rings almost painfully in her ears, and it takes her a moment to realize it's not her that's screaming. It's Junmyeon.

He's crying, his tears falling on her face as he kneels beside her, over her, screaming words too jumbled for her mind to comprehend, and all she wants to do is to comfort him, to tell him it's going to be okay, to soothe away the terror evident on his face, but her hands won't cooperate, falling limp at her side, the words of comfort gurgling in her throat. Junmyeon's screaming something else now as he cradles her in his arms, talking to various figures that start to surround them, figures Chorong can't make out as her vision blurs.

It's okay, she wants to tell him as he looks back down on her with such fear, pain, and agony, because doesn't he see? With this, with her as physical proof, that woman will never bother him again. With this, he could finally be free, a cost she was willing to pay, had always been willing to pay, no matter how high the price.

"I love you," she finally manages to say, and try as she does, Chorong passes out before she can hear him say it back.