Chapter 201 - For His Sake

Start from the beginning

“…You want to defend someone in court?” Kartik lowered his head as he mulled this over. Shehnaaz could still feel the icy, forbidding aura rolling off him.

“Yes. Can I have your signature? Actually, it would be even better if you could write an endorsement letter for me…” Shehnaaz’s large eyes twinkled. She wished she could get Kartik on Rita’s legal team. Surely they would be able to win the lawsuit with someone as talented as Kartik on their side? He did not even have to appear in court as their lawyer. All he had to do was look over their strategy, give a few words of advice, and Shehnaaz knew she would be able to win.

Kartik looked at her coolly. “Ask me for my signature when you’re no longer working as a negotiator here.” He rapped his knuckles on the door. “Let me out.”

Sidharth, who was watching from the adjacent room, raised his hand.

The person in charge of monitoring the interrogation room
pressed a button, and the door to the interrogation room opened automatically.

Kartik returned to his room. He did not ask for a better room. In fact, he did not say anything at all. He lay quietly on his bed, his hands folded behind his head. It was impossible to tell what he was thinking.

Shehnaaz returned to the control room. She smiled at Sidharth, whose face was as stony and inscrutable as always. “Sidharth, don’t take it to heart. Professor Sen is currently a neutral party, he isn’t siding with anyone, but we definitely don’t want to go up against him.”

Everything she had done, she had done with Sidharth in mind. She was going to be Rita’s lawyer for his sake.

Deepak spoke up. “Sidharth, Sana was really impressive today. She immediately thought of getting Kartik on our side, since he’s a neutral party. A top lawyer like Kartik Sen would help us win Ms. Singhania’s lawsuit.”

Deepak had gone to America with Shehnaaz as her temporary guardian. He had first-hand knowledge of Kartik’s status and influence in the United States.

Sidharth glanced at Shehnaaz. He nodded. “Okay, then. Get ready to defend in court. As for your role as our negotiator, it was a temporary measure to deal with Kartik and Rashmi. Now that they’ve both given their
testimonies, you’re released from your duty.”

Shehnaaz did not question Sidharth. She smiled. “It’s okay, Sidharth. I’m doing this because I want to.”

Sidharth tousled her hair. “Go back to bed. It’s almost two o’clock.”

Most people were at their sleepiest between two and three
o’clock in the morning. This was the best time to interrogate suspects—a sleepy suspect was a vulnerable suspect.

Kartik and Rashmi had managed to keep their composure. Even so, they had accidentally let slip a few things after Shehnaaz provoked them. As for Devika Gandhi—well, she hadn’t even lasted ten minutes.

An hour later, Rohit had gotten all the information he needed.
Aside from Devika Gandhi, he had also interrogated Rahul Gandhi, the Prime Minister’s eldest son, and Falak Gandhi, the Prime Minister’s youngest daughter. He compiled their
testimonies, and waited outside the door for Sidharth.

Shehnaaz opened the door, fatigue written all over her
face. She saw Rohit standing at the door, and nodded to him in greeting. She covered her mouth as she yawned.

“Feeling sleepy? Go to bed, then.” Rohit patted Shehnaaz’s shoulder. “Thanks for your help today.”

Shehnaaz made for the door, but she suddenly stopped to ask: “Brother Rohit, do you always work through the night like this?”