Page 68

I flopped down on one of the greenroom’s ratty couches and took it in. I had survived. There wasn’t a second when I felt too tired or too fried. I’d begun to think of my diabetes like one of my more demanding plants. One of those expensive, rare flowers you had to talk to and water and move in and out of the shade, except now I had no choice, because it lived inside me.

Toby crashed half on top of me, half on top of the cushions, and we kissed, the rush of the show still ringing in our ears. When we leaned back, we laughed a little. Toby picked a piece of hair off my shirt, suddenly shy. Being public was still new. But so good. I thought of his long arms bashing the beats, drawing the eyes of every woman in the front row. I kissed him again.

“We probably sold it out, huh,” I said.

Toby nodded, face lifted, too happy for words. We sold out the Skylark. My diabetes wasn’t a total monster. Everything was falling into place. I couldn’t wait to tell Luke.

To: Cassie Salazar

From: PFC Luke Morrow

Subject: Hello

Hello Cassie

Just thought I would test this out. I don’t see why this wouldn’t go through but it seems crazy that I can write this from a laptop in the middle of [REDACTED]. shows you how good i am at the internet. You don’t even want to know how long it took me to set even this up. Next thing you know I will be yelling at you to get off my lawn.

But yeah here’s where you can reach me and we can set up skype dates. Feel free to also send me hot pictures. You know, stuff like you dressed up as a Ninja Turtle, you dressed as the Fonz from Happy Days, you know what I like. Kidding. But you are my wife so think about it. But seriously I’m kidding.

So remember how I was telling you about how my running times will go way down when I get home because I will be used to the elevation here? They are already going way down here, even though i didn’t get to run for the first few weeks because we were getting adjusted. Must be the food. And by food I mean lack of food.

Anyway I bet they are going to be off the charts when i get home. Maybe I will train for a marathon. Maybe I will make you train with me. :)

Luke

•••

To: PFC Luke Morrow

From: Cassie Salazar

Subject: Miss you!

Luke, It is I, your devoted wife. Things are as usual here. The Loyal played another gig at The Skylark and we smashed it. SOLD OUT crowd, everyone was digging it, and I can’t even describe the feeling to you. Imagine you ran a four minute mile, every mile, for thirty miles, and everyone you ever knew was cheering for you the whole time. It was like that. (Is that what marathon’s like? Because fine, I will do one with you, if so.) All of the compromises we have made in our short but very passionate marriage are paying off. Thank you for supporting me. Your support in words and gestures and knowing a lot about how much this means to me has been super valuable. :)

I thought about buying a bike to add to this very exciting eating right and exercising life I have begun and you would have definitely laughed me out of the store. I had a saleslady wheel one out for me to “try it on” but it was WAY too tall and I couldn’t balance so I FELL OVER right on my side like someone had pushed over a statue or something. My friend Toby and I (you remember Toby, the drummer for my band) were laughing so hard and I was so embarrassed that I didn’t try another one and left.

Everyone misses you, including Marisol (I know how you hate to call her Mom). I hope you are doing well and feeling healthy.

I love you very much, my dear husband.

Cassie

•••

To: Cassie Salazar

From: PFC Luke Morrow

Subject: RE: Miss you!

Hi cassie! I was so glad to hear about your show! I cant wait to come to one when I get back. I havent been to see live music since I was in middle school when I thought death metal was cool. Remember when I told you about my death metal phase? It was probably when we were walking by the river and stuff. Anyway I never told you it lasted a week because I burst my eardrum at a metal show, but I had snuck out to see that show, so I lied and told my dad that I got in a fight, and when he asked me who it was I made up a name because I’m an idiot.

The name was Rick Richardson. Richard. Richardson. I am laughing just thinking about it. The whole time I was in high school my dad thought I was in this tough guy rivalry with a very obviously made up dude named Rick Richardson. i would get home and he would be like, did that kid Richardson give you any trouble? And i was like no dad, he doesn’t mess with me anymore. At one point my dad even asked me to “point him out” when we were at Jake’s football game and I pointed to some random kid and I had to stop my dad from crossing the stadium to yell at his parents. Like just imagine this big military dude in your face pointing to your kid, who’s name is definitely not Rick Richardson, and him being like, RICK RICHARDSON, DON’T MESS WITH MY SON.

And all because I didn’t want to admit I burst my eardrum at a metal show. And you think you’re an idiot for falling over on a bike. Well you kind of are. We both are. I think that’s pretty clear by now in our marriage. Anyway I remember that night I told you about my metal phase, the night we walked by the river like it was yesterday. That was when I knew I would marry you. :)

Things are good here. Had a bit of a cold when I first got here but Frankie had much worse. He was shitting his brain’s out. He really likes to talk about it (like I’m actually serious, he likes to talk about it much more then most people like to talk about shit) so do me a favor and don’t ask him about it next time we skype. I’ve heard enough.