Chapter one

Sunpaw crouched. The scent of a mouse filled his nostrils. He bunched up his muscles and walked around, looking for prey to hunt.

The woods were scarcely full of prey. If Sunpaw caught some fresh-kill, GorseClan would be able to eat for a couple of days.

Ever since Sunpaw found GorseClan, he felt like he could do anything. The golden tom caught some fish for the Clan and he collected moss for the elder Zoey.

Sunpaw's ears suddenly perked up. He gazed around. Branches started to crack.

That's no mouse. Sunpaw flattened his ears and bushed out his fur. He started to walk toward the sound.

Something suddenly leapt out at him. Sunpaw screeched with shock.

"I got you!"

It was Silverclaw. The silver tabby she-cat flung herself at the animal with stretched out claws. She clawed the creature's pelt.

Sunpaw got ready to spring into action, but another cat jumped into battle. It was Littlewhisker.

"Littlewhisker!" Sunpaw yowled. He flexed his claws. "Get back!"

The tabby she-cat paid no attention to him. She and Silverclaw drove the creature into the water.

"Dumb beaver!" Silverclaw yelled at the animal. "Think twice before attacking one of our cats!"

Littlewhisker hissed at the beaver.

Sunpaw turned around and headed back to the camp. The beaver would have scared the prey away. He jumped over a branch and gazed around.

Which way was the camp again?

"Need any help?" Silverclaw joined his side. "It's always near the deathberries."

Deathberries! Sunpaw and Littlewhisker needed deathberries. That was what their quest was about!

"Our Clan..." Sunpaw paused. He glanced at the berries. "Our Clan needs them, by the way."

"You can take plenty of them." Silverclaw twined her tail with Sunpaw's. "We already have a ton."

"Thanks." Sunpaw grabbed a stick in his jaws and carefully picked the red berries up. He slowly walked back to Silverclaw and Littlewhisker.

Silverclaw blinked. "You're going back to your Clan now? I thought you were going to stay for a while."

Littlewhisker's tail fluffed up. "It's obvious that Sunpaw did. Now we're going home."

Silverclaw growled deeply at her. "You randomly leapt into battle with the beaver."

"What about it?" Littlewhisker challenged. "Oh, now you're going to speak like that?"

When the she-cats looked furious, Sunpaw jumped in front of them. "We're not going to risk a fight," he muttered. "I know both of you can be brutal, but perhaps it's a little too early for a war, Silverclaw?"

Silverclaw scrunched up her face, but sighed. "Alright. I guess. Let's get going."

The silver tabby led the way back to the new GorseClan camp. Sunpaw set his stick in a small hole and followed her with Littlewhisker.

Zoey and Sharpleaf were on guard. They recognized the three cats.

"Silverclaw, Sunpaw and- Littlewhisker." Sharpleaf dipped his head. "You may pass."

The three cats walked into the make-shift camp. Sunpaw breathed in the smell of bark. He was so used to it now that he felt like he couldn't leave this place.