Chapter 84 - Worlds Apart

Start from the beginning

Their helmets snapped on automatically, and had it not been for the fact that Keira had already experienced this once before, she probably would've felt a bit claustrophobic. She saw the looks of hesitation and apprehension in the eyes around her, but it didn't take long until they were swallowed by the void that opened up beneath their feet.

Once again, it felt like she was tripping on mushrooms as the Quantum Realm surrounded her. When the journey came to an abrupt end in a bright flash, Keira was prepared for the impact this time around, so she merely stumbled a few steps, but remained on her feet.

Natasha, ever being the elegant one of the team also remained on her feet without problem, while Clint fell to his knees, not prepared for the gravity pull that came after being weightless.

Keira pulled him up by the arm and looked around at the strange alien world.

The sky was dark, only the horizon held some trace of color, like veins of lava. Great rock formations rose from the ground in arcs, like some great snake cracking the surface open as it traveled across the globe. "Well, I sure hope Vormir is cozier than this."

"I think anything will beat this, to be honest." Natasha sighed, a critical eyebrow raised as she took in the surroundings. Her eyes flickered to the ground, observing a lizard-like creature that slowly crept closer to her.

It was quite pale and slimy-looking, with dorsal crests running along its spine. Not exactly something you'd like to cuddle with.

Clint pulled out the miniature ship and set it down quite a distance away before backing away from it and throwing a disc at it. In an instant, the ship grew to its normal size and if possible, cast them all into even more shadow. "Let's get a move on so we don't turn into rocks." He clapped his hands together, something that earned him an annoyed look from Nebula before she entered the ship.

"Alright, bring it down, Blue. Right on that line. That's it. Down, down." Rhodey instructed Nebula, who could hear him from inside the ship thanks to the comms in her ear. It took some time, the wind tugging at the great ship, trying to get it to move. But Nebula was a skilled flyer and kept it steady while lowering the space pod to the ground.

Natasha, in the meantime, still hadn't averted her eyes from the lizard-like creature that had stalked so close by now that she could touch it if she wished to.

It screeched, its open mouth showing off its pointed teeth before it leaped at the redhead, who retaliated by kicking it. Rolling across the uneven ground, the creature struggled to its feet again and snarled in indignation.

"You're so mean." Keira playfully nudged Natasha's shoulder, watching as the alien scurried away between the rocks.

Poor thing must be traumatized.

Natasha just shrugged. "I'm not. It was going to attack me. I was strictly on the defensive side of things."

Keira shook her head in amusement and rolled her eyes. "Yuh-huh. Sure, whatever you say."

Clint only smiled at them before focusing back on Rhodey. "Hey, can we hurry it up?"

"Guys, chop-chop." Natasha chimed in, dropping whatever retort she had ready for Keira. "Come on. We're on the clock."

"All that, is really helpful." Rhodey shouted over his shoulder, clearly sarcastic.

Keira put her fist to her chest and straightened her back. "Happy to be of service." She declared with a solemn voice, finishing off with a bow. It was lucky that Nebula got out at that moment, or the mutant might've suffered a punch to the gut.

"Everything's ready." Nebula announced shortly, taking a step back while the others said their goodbyes. She didn't really have a bond with either of the former assassins, and she saw no reason to pretend otherwise.