Athena leaned down from the ground, and a puppy pressed its paws onto her knees so it could lick her face. "Oh my God, hi." She gathered the puppy in her arms and stood back up, looking right at her boyfriend, who was watching her with nothing short of adoration. "I can't believe this. Do you think my parents would kill me if I brought one home?"

"They might kill me."

"No way, my parents love you." Athena planted a kiss to the puppy's head. "You know, you kind of remind me of a golden retriever."

Ricky reached his hand forwards and scratched the puppy a couple of times. "I'm going to take that as a compliment."

Athena slightly adjusted the puppy in her arms, her eyes trailing across Ricky's face. "Not that I don't absolutely love this, but where did you get the idea for a puppy date?"

He shrugged. "You told me you and Vi used to watch Mark and Spark a lot when you were younger, and I know that you've been feeling weird about this whole High School Musical 4 situation, so it gave me an idea." Ricky kissed the puppy's head before kissing Athena's forehead. "Besides, dogs are your absolute favorite animal, so I thought, why not?"

She raised an eyebrow. "Is that all?"

Ricky paused for a moment. "And I may or may not have sent myself into a spiral hearing you used to have a crush on Mack."

"And there it is." Athena stared at him, a lovestruck smile on her face. "Emphasis on used to. You're my only crush, promise." She then thought about it for a moment. "Besides Joe Keery. You might have some competition there."

He laughed a little, and the sound made Athena's smile widen. "Copy that, which is what they say in Hollywood, by the way. And as they say in musicals, sit down and let me sing you a song."

"I thought they burst into songs in musicals," Athena replied.

"They do, but I'm breaking the rules." Ricky grabbed his guitar, which Athena just realized he brought, and slung it over himself. Athena sat down on the blanket on the grass, looking over at him as he sat down on the hay. "I know this is more of a piano song, but a guitar's more mobile, so you're going to have to deal with it."

She giggled a little. "Okay."

Ricky adjusted the capo on his guitar for a moment. "Earlier today, I read a lyric that you gave me from a certain song, and I think it made you feel at least a little better. You love this song, and I love you, so . . . this is New Year's Day, Ricky's version."

And . . . yeah, Athena swore she melted right then and there.

He played a couple familiar chords before starting to sing. "There's glitter on the floor after the party, girls carrying their shoes down in the lobby, candle wax and Polaroids on the hardwood floor, you and me from the night before. But don't read the last page, but I stay when you're lost, and I'm scared, and you're turning away. I want your midnights, but I'll be cleaning up bottles with you on New Year's Day."

Truth be told, that lyric from earlier on the slip of paper had boosted her mood a lot. Athena always joked that nobody got the song New Year's Day like her. On an album such as reputation that was so heavy on production and calling people out, having a song like New Year's Day at the end with nothing but piano and guitar and lyrics that reflected a kind if love that lasts even after a New Year's kiss was extremely beautiful and symbolic. In so many ways, Athena related the song to her and Ricky's relationship. Because even after drama and everything they've been through, they still held onto each other like glue. It was her favorite song on the album for a reason.