Ian stares at her in confusion. "You don't want Mama Bel's food? But it's the best in the world!"

Lea tuts. "That's why you're here, so you can eat instead of me," she says and beams. Ian doesn't put up a protest, he's not about to when the primary reason why he went to visit is Isabella's cooking. Playing with Lea is secondary, although he would never tell her that.

The helpers assist the kids to the highchairs where a plate is laid out on each of their sides.

"Mama?" Lea calls.

"Yes, love?" Isabella replies without taking her eyes off the wok she is handling.

"Can I have scrambled eggs?"

Isabella pauses to look at her daughter. "But honey, I made Paella."

"Plleaaaaase," Lea insists, which is responded to with a sigh.

"Alright," Isabella concedes with a sigh and calls for another helper to prepare the request. "What about you, Ian? You want scrambled eggs too?"

The little boy shakes his head. "I love paella!" He declares which makes both Isabella and Lea smile, the first one because the boy is much too vocal of his love for the food she prepares, and the second one because she gets to evade the dish without much fuss.

"Good one, you should come here again tomorrow," Lea whispers to Ian with a thumbs up, which he returns with enthusiasm.

And returns the day after... and the day after... until he's become Isabella's little kitchen helper. All the while, little Lea is pleased with herself– she's got a playmate and a best friend, and someone who likes eating the food her mama makes so she doesn't have to.

...

He parks his car in the usual spot before turning off the engine and helping Lea and Mason off the car. He carries the carseat while Lea leads them into their family house (although honestly, she doesn't even have to. He knows the way to the kitchen all too well).

They are redirected to the dining room by a helper before they reach the kitchen. In there are Lea's parents. Javier is settled at the head of the table while Isabella is fussing over the dish placements.

"Hi, hijo!" Javier greets the two of them happily, all ire from the maling akala that earned Ian a blackeye all forgotten. "You're here. Have a seat," he invites and stands up to meet them. But of course, as per usual lately, his attention is immediately caught by the little one in the car seat. "Hello, sweet boy," he greets and crouches a bit to see the little one better. "You are growing bigger and bigger every time Papu sees you."

It doesn't take long for Isabella to join in on the party. She gives both Ian and Lea a hug before retrieving the little one from the confines of the carrier, which if his coos are anything to go by, renders him well pleased.

"Mamu is very happy to see you, yes I am," she tells the baby in a sweet, small voice which makes both Ian and Lea smile. They have been the subject of that voice once upon a time on different occasions.

Lea and Ian settle on their assigned seats (Ian spent quite a large fraction of his time in this house growing up, of course he has his own chair). Isabella refuses to put down the baby so she sits on her chair while carrying him. They say grace and the feast (Ian would insist to call it that, ever the admirer of Isabella's cooking) begins.

"Ma, this is so good. Walang kupas," Ian comments after swallowing a mouthful of the scrumptious paella.

Isabella chuckles. "Naturo ko na sa'yo ang recipe niyan, ah?"