Prolouge

Phil stepped down his castle steps, looking at the battle before him with wild eyes. He never expected something like this, especially since their kingdom was still so new.

“STOP!” On cue the battle stopped, all eyes on him from where he stood, his wings flaring open to demand their attention. His people looked at him with respect, to the enemies on hateful and disgusted looks. “Why are you attacking us? What did we do to deserve this?” He couldn’t help the anger that filled his voice, his eyes turning into slits as he studied them. Philza’s grip on his sword tightened, waiting for one of the enemies to answer his burning question.

“We won't let another kingdom emerge and steal the land that rightfully belongs to our king!” One spoke, the soldiers from the enemy's side cheering in agreement. They cheered as if they had already won the battle, their swords in the air as in victory. Philza’s people stared at them with hateful glares. It angered the avian, his sword pointing at the soldier that spoke in a threatening way. 

“That’s ridiculous! This land belonged to no one. We have made a civilization here on land claimed by no one! If you believe that we will just give it up because the kingdom of Dreamers now wants this land, then you are mistaken!” The Antarctic soldiers cheered, their own swords now in the air as they stared down the enemy. It was as if they were daring the Dreamer soldiers to protest. It only angered the enemy further.“If you truly wish to fight a useless battle, then let us continue!” As one enemy began to attack again, Philza joined his soldiers' sides, slashing down one enemy at a time. 

— ~ —

As Dream pulled his sword out of the Antarctic Queens' chest, he couldn’t help the feeling of satisfaction fill his being. He looked over to the crib in front of the window, the wailing of a baby filling his ears. He stared at it for a moment, sheathing his sword and stalking towards it with steady steps. He pulled his dagger out when he reached his destination, lifting his hand with the dagger in his hold, ready to plunge it into the child's chest.

He faltered though, staring down at the helpless being with a curious gaze. He stared down at the child, tilting his head as he took in the boy's features. The baby looked like his father, with blond hair and the same huge gray wings that seemed way too big for the small being. They flailed around, spasming as the child still was learning how to control them. He had the blue eyes of the Queen, staring at his mask with his own curious gaze.

They stared at one another, Dream taking in the baby just as the child seemed to be doing to him. He took in those wings and watched them fan open and close as he stared at him. They were huge. They would be strong when he grew up, just like the kings were now. “Aren’t you something.” Dream whispered, letting his hand with the weapon fall to his side. The child giggled up at him, his chubby arms reaching up towards him, fingers making a grabbing motion as he smiled. He had no idea that his mother was laying only feet away, dead, because of him. He put the bagger back in its rightful spot on his belt, reaching into the crib to pick the baby up. 

What are you doing?  Hissed Nightmare’s voice, he almost sounded panicked as the king picked the baby up. Dream smiled at the child, pulling him closer to his chest as the baby laughed, his one free wing still mindlessly flapping about. Put that baby down! We have a job to do! You still have to find those other brats and get that stupid crystal! The baby giggled, grabbing onto the man's mask, smiling up at him with those puffy blue eyes. Dream softly chuckled himself, even if he could hear Nightmare’s irritated groan from inside his head. 

“Look at him Nightmare, what do you see?”  Dream spoke softly, lifting his left arm up to let the baby latch onto his hand, the child still smiling as he giggled in delight.