Grant: Hmm?

Ellie: He's three. Why don't you wait till he's a little older?

Grant: Oh, right. (back to Charlie) Happy dinosaurs.

He bounces them along the sandbox edge. Then, the sound of a CAR ENGINE turning off and a door SLAMMING is heard.

Ellie: That must be Mark. (calling out) Mark, we're back here!

Ellie and Grant turn to see Mark Degler coming through the gate carrying a briefcase. He's their age, handsome but not annoyingly so, with a friendly, balance demeanor. He and Ellie kiss tenderly on the lips.

Ellie: Good day?

Mark: Keeping the world safe. Here, let me take her.

Ellie hands off the baby.

Ellie: Mark, this is Alan Grant.

Mark: Nice to meet you, Alan. I've heard a lot about you.

The two men shake hands, and we now realize it is Grant who is the stranger in this household. Little Charlie runs to his father, showing his dinosaur.

CharlieHARLIE: Daddy, this is a herbabore. And that the Dinosaur Man

Grant: Dinosaur Man.

Grant smiles uncomfortably, a third wheel.

Small Time Skip

Winden to a parrot in a large cage. Grant is teasing the bird with a cookie, holding a it just out of reach.

Grant: What's my name? Come on, Jack, say it. Is my name Alan? Say my name.

The bird doesn't respond.

Grant: He used to know me.

Ellie: Sorry, Alan it's been six years.

Grant shrugs, gives Jack the cookie, and heads towards the table. The three adults are finishing their dessert and coffee. The children have been out to bed. An awkward moment of silence. Uncomfortable smiles. Then --

Mark: More coffee?

Ellie: Yes. Great.

Mark stands and collects their cups.

Ellie: So, Mark's working at the State Department now.

Grant: Really? (To Mark) What do you do there?

Mark: (with mock bravado) I could tell you about it, but then I'd have to kill you.

Grant: Indeed.

Mark smiles, nodding. Then he goes into the kitchen. Another uncomfortable silence.

Ellie: So what are you working on now?

Grant: We have a new site in Montana. At least until the money runs out.

Ellie: Anything good?

Grant: Raptors, mostly.

Ellie: My favorite.

Grant leans forward, realizing Ellie's one of the few people he can talk to about this.

Grant: You remember the sounds they made?

Ellie: I try not to.

Grant: We've done cranial scans, and raptors actually had a quite sophisticated resonating chamber. I have a theory that their ability to vocalize is the key to their social intelligence. The way they can work together as a team.

Ellie: You think they could talk to each other?

Grant: To a degree we never imagined.

And from the cage in the corner of the room...