Chapter 1

Hide, run, and fight.

Wala na kaming ibang ginawa kung 'di magtago, tumakas, o lumaban. Pagod na pagod na kami sa laban na hindi naman namin kasalanan. Inosente kaming mga tao pero bakit nila kami pilit na kinakalaban? Do they really deserve to be called 'human'?

Mala-anghel kung humarap sa maraming tao ngunit nakatago sa maskara ang masamang pagkatao. They keep pushing us down, calling us monsters, threats, and dangers, but they themselves embodies the true monstrosity. They make us feel like outsiders in our own world.

They took something priceless from us, something more valuable than all their wealth. We're trapped like prisoners, or rather far worse than prisoners as we don't have any freedom as they do. Our voices are silenced, as our lives hang by a thread.

"Ate," I was brought back by the small voice of my friend. "Huwag ka na mag-alala, hindi na nila tayo mahahanap dito." She reassured.

"Magpahinga ka na po, kailangan mo ng lakas para bukas."

I glanced at the ocean one final time before closing the door of the place we were staying for tonight. I let out a heavy sigh before collapsing beside my companions. As I stared at the small opening in the intermodal container, I wondered when this never-ending struggle would finally come to an end.

"Sir, ano po yang ineenject mo saamin!? Sir, masakit! Tama na po!"

I sense a relentless force gnawing at my insides, consuming me whole. Ang sakit! Please, make it stop! Hindi ko na kaya!

"Sir, please, tama na po!"

"I can't take it anymore! I can't!"

"Sir, maawa ka saamin! Ahh!"

I'm trapped, hindi ako makatakas! Patigilin niyo na yung pag sakit! What's happening to me? What are they subjecting me to?

All fades into a haze, drowned out by the echoes of agonizing screams, cries for help, and pleas for mercy from my classmates, until suddenly, silence descends.

"Sir, anong ginawa mo!? Hayop ka!" I cried out weakly, struggling against the onslaught of pain.

He grins. A wicked, sinister grin.

"Don't worry, ija. This is merely the opening move in the chess game where you find yourself unwittingly ensnared as my pawn."

"Sophie, wake up!"

Gasping for air, I jolted upright, my heart racing as if trying to escape my chest. Beads of sweat clung to my forehead, evidence of the torment I had just endured.

The remnants of the nightmare still lingered, haunting my thoughts like shadows in the dark. With each breath, I struggled to shake off the remnants of the dream, clinging desperately to the reassuring familiarity of my surroundings.

"Breath, Sophie, it was just a nightmare. Everything's okay."

Slowly, the echoes of fear began to fade, replaced by the gentle rhythm of my heartbeat, a soothing melody in the early quiet of the morning.

"Thank you," I murmured feebly. They simply gave me a reassuring pat on the shoulder and proceeded with organizing and preparing their belongings for the day ahead.

"Kailangan na natin umalis," said one of my companions who had just come from observing. "Narinig ko yung mga bantay dito na magraraid daw sila ngayon kasi may nagsabi sakanila andito tayo. Papunta na yung mga pulis ngayon para halughugin 'tong buong lugar."