19-Ballad

"Ballad. From Middle English, balade. Who knows what this word means?" Mr. Schuester said from the front of the room. "Who knows what this word means?" He walked towards us.

"It's a male duck." Brittany called out "No, that's a Drake." I corrected "No Drake is a singer." she corrected me "No- he- what- he's a rapper." I stuttered.

Mr. Schuester ignored our banter and moved on "Kurt." he called "A ballad is a love song." Kurt answered "Sometimes, but they don't always express love. Ballads are stories set to music... which is why they're the perfect storm of self-expression." he went on to explain.

I looked over at Rayna. She smiled at me. She's been out sick for a couple of days but I keep her up to date with everything that's happened. "Stories and music are the way we express
feelings that we can't get out any other way. Okay, now sectionals are in a few weeks and there's a new rule this year." he pointed at the board.

"We have to perform... a ballad." he nodded "Looks like my weekly letter to the Ohio Show Choir Committee finally paid off." Rachel said enthusiastically "Damn how long have you been sending letters?" Rayna frowned. She normally doesn't interact with anyone.

Rachel shrugged and faced the front of the room. "Okay, so here's our assignment for the week. I'm gonna pair you off, and I want you to pick a ballad to sing to your partner. Look them right in the eye... find the emotion you want to express, and make them feel it." he explained further, bending towards Artie's height.

I looked over at Artie. We've been bonding over the weekend. "I pick Quinn." Finn said. I rolled my eyes at his words. "No, no, no, no, no. Too easy." Mr. Schuester stopped him "Your partners will be chosen by fate." he stated.

Everyone ooohed in excitement "Oooh, yeah. I put all your names in this hat. Whoever you choose is your partner." he walked towards the hat on the piano. "I bet that duck's in the hat." I heard Brittany whisper from behind me "There is no duck!" I exclaimed. That earned me a slap on the neck from Santana.

"But Matt's out sick today." Santana turned her attention back to Mr. Schuester. "He had to go to the hospital 'cause they found a spider in his ear." I explained. Everyone groaned in disgust at the thought. "Webs and all." I smirked, earning another smack.

Santana looked at me with a grossed out look "I guess I'll just have to put my name in the hat for now. Who's up first?" Mr schue pondered. Puck walked to the front of the room "Mercedes." he called, causing the girl to roll her eyes in response. "All right." Mr. schue nodded.

Artie rolled up to the front of the room "Griffin." he smiled. I nodded at the pairing. We don't have to do a romantic song. But I guess Finn felt different "Kurt." he called out skeptically. "Mr. Schue, I don't know if I can do this with another guy." he nervously spoke.

"The Fates have spoken, Finn." Mr. Schue responded "Other Asian." Tina said causing Mike's face to fall. "Brittany." Santana smiled "How fitting." I sarcastically replied "Yea!" Brittany jumped up in excitement.

Rayna dreadfully walked to the front of the room. She pulled out a piece of paper. Her face was hard to read. Mostly because she disliked both Mr. Schue and Quinn. "Quinn." she sighed in annoyance.

Rachel stood up and walked towards the front of the room. "Looks like I get you, Mr. Schue." she said with a smile "Uh, you know what? Maybe we should just wait until Matt gets back." visibly frowned "The Fates talked, Mr. Schue." Finn pulled an uno reverse card.

"Would you mind clarifying
what kinds of songs you want us to sing?" Artie said causing snickers to sound amongst the room "Why don't you let Mr. Schuester and I demonstrate?" Rachel said enthusiastically, not catching the hint

"Brad, "Endless Love" in B-flat, please. It's my favorite duet." Rachel turned to Brad "I really don't think that's an appropriate song, Rachel." Mr. Schuester waved her off "Why? It's a great song and it's a perfect ballad." Rachel questioned.

"Yeah, I really like that song, Mr. Schue." Finn smirked.

I

tried to hold on my laughter as Mr. Schue basically ran from Rachel. "Okay. Something like that." he nodded before walking off.

 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
"Really, thanks for driving me." Quinn said as she opened my car door "It's no problem. Go on inside. I'll be in there in a few. I just gotta make a call." I explained. She nodded and got out of the car, closing the door behind her.

I picked up my phone and dialed the familiar number "Ms. Mavens with C and R lawyers personal line, how may I help you?" Ms. Maven's voice ranged over the phone "Hey, yes it's Griffin. You had called earlier?" I stated more than asked.

I could almost hear the smile on her face "Oh yeah, I was calling to inform you the case has been official reopened in your favor. And the case will be held in North Lima's Court House." she chuckled lightly "Really?" I asked "Yep. Is there anything else you need?" she asked "N-No. That's great news though. I'll uh- I'll talk to you later Ms. maven's." I smiled softly before hanging up.

I happily got out of the vehicle and made my way to the Fabray's front door. Without announcing my presence I walked into the living room. I stood in shock as I glanced over Quinn's dress "Sweetie, I am so proud of you." Ms. Fabray said as she sat next to Quinn.

The back of her dress wasn't zipped up fully "The Chastity Ball is so important to your father." Her mother said drunkly before she stood up and attempted to zip up Quinn's dress "Hmm. That's odd. We had this custom-made a month ago." she said causing my eyes to widen.

I coughed loudly directing the attention from Quinn "
Probably just because of lunch. They made huge tacos. Quinn ate at least four of them." I covered "Really big tacos." Quinn nodded.

Her mom looked between us "No worries, sweetie. I'll just take it down to the tailor tomorrow." her mom smiled into the mirror, combing Quinn's hair lightly. "You must be the boy Quinn talks about so much." she said turning to me.

I shook my head immediately "No, close. He's my twin brother. We're fraternal but we still look identical." I smiled as I shook her hand. "We'll let it out a little bit.
The problem here, honey, is, you know... I just don't think you've been getting enough exercise ever since you quit the Cheerios. Am I right?" her mom theoried.

I took a seat on the sofa as her mom poured me a glass of water. "Yeah, yeah. That's right." Quinn reluctantly nodded "You used to spend hours every day doing back flips and high kicks. And now... I mean, now you spend
all your free time... sitting on a stool in the dark singing show tunes.  Do you know how many calories you burn singing? Hmm?" her mom said as she measured her waist.

"Not very many." Quinn whispered "There's nothing wrong with show tunes. And there's nothing wrong with the dark." I mumbled "Judy! Glenn Beck is on." a masculine voice sounded out

"Oh, wait. Hold on. He's so... Hold on. No, I don't want to see." Mr. Fabray rounded the corner and covered his eyes "Daddy, it's not like we're getting married." Quinn said bashfully "I don't want... Oh. Oh! Look at you." He smiled softly.

"Speaking of getting married... how's that boy you've been dating?" he asked before turning around and noticing me "Is this him?" he asked "No, that's his brother though." Ms. Fabray explained "Nice to meet you Mr. Fabray." I nodded softly.

"He's not pressuring my daughter at all, is he?" he questioned me "No- No Finn's a great guy. He'll never do something like that. Anyways no one would take him that seriously." I covered my mouth at what I just said "Sorry, it's a little debate we've had since the age of five." I lied.

He frowned and nodded "I'm glad to hear that. That's why
I'm inviting him over for dinner on Sunday. And this fella can join." he smiled "Oh, wonderful!" Mrs. Fabray whispered "Refresher?" he asked.

"Honey, I don't want you
to lift a finger for me. I'm your wife." I frowned at her words "My little lemon drop. I gotta go catch Glenn." he said before getting up. I looked at Quinn before quietly laughing under my breath.