13 | captain ducky

Start from the beginning

"Well, that's easy for you and someone like Banks to say. You guys have money. To those preppy snobs, the rest of us don't belong."

"Well, if they cause you any trouble, I'll have my mom sue all their companies and tow their yachts," Emma says, tousling his hair.

"Really, you can do that?" he asks hopefully.

"No, silly! I'm not the president. But I will do everything in my power to protect you at this new school." 

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"Emmaline, get over here!" Julie yells, spreading her arms in preparation for a hug. Emma runs over to her excitedly and accepts the embrace.

"Hey, Jules," Emma says, straining from the tight squish of the hug.

"You get more and more gorgeous every time I see you, I swear," Connie squeals, tucking a loose strand of hair behind Emma's ear.

"Doesn't she?" Julie agrees.

"Oh, my goodness, says you guys," Emma laughs incredulously.

"You didn't want to walk to school with Charlie?" Connie asks.

"Nah, he said he would roller blade. And I wanted to make time for my girls over here," Emma says, throwing her arms around both of them.

The three girls walk side by side into the auditorium and take seats near Dwayne, Russ, and Kenny.

"Hey, you know what?" a voice rings out from behind them.

Julie, Dwayne, Russ, Emma, Kenny, and Connie turn around. 

"You Ducks don't belong here at Eden Hall."

Emma freezes as she realizes who it is. Richard Riley.

"Emmaline Mitchell-Hart. Well, well. Maybe you belong here," Rick says, drumming his fingers together and contemplating her features with a smirk.

Emma doesn't object to him calling her Emmaline Mitchell-Hart. It's been a tiring back and forth throughout the years. At first, she loathed the idea of having the name of the man who left and betrayed her family. But after the Junior Goodwill Games, her father tried to make amend, and Emma decided she would allow him to. And she's starting to see things from his perspective. Of course, she doesn't sympathize at all with the cheating and lying, but she understands that he's trying to change.

"You know this kid, Em?" Russ asks, looking between them with suspicious eyes.

"Yeah. My mom's settled cases for his family before. I've met him at work parties," Emma explains, narrowing her eyes in Rick's direction. "He's a delight."

"Well, um, I'm Dwayne. We're the new hockey team. And you are...?" he introduces, sticking out his hand.

Emma truly likes Dwayne. He's sweet and friendly. She's gotten annoyed with him in the past for showboating during important hockey games, but she knows he's nothing but well-meaning.

"Varsity. The only hockey team," Rick says. "State champs."

"Oh, get your head out of your ass, Richard," Emma groans, rolling her eyes.