Chapter one

I'm walking to school hoping no one will notice me. I'm the laughing stalk of the entire school. Oh I forgot to introduce myself, I'm Kate. Just started grade nine. It's the third month of school and I'm already singled out. Should be a great school year.

As I'm walking to school I start to remember things I shouldn't...

"You know what!? Fine be like that. You're such a screw up!!! I wish I never had you!!!" I hate it when I screw up. It hurts for her to say this but it always happens.

"Jess calm down she's your fucking daughter!! Take it easy she's crying for God's sakes!" Dad yells

"Good." She firmly states.

"Maybe we should all just go for a drive, who wants ice cream?" My dad says, trying to put aside the rude tone my mother has.

"I do..." I barely whisper.

"Alright, its okay Kate, you didn't do anything wrong. You're the most amazing girl I could have ever hoped for. It's going to be alright." He whispers in my ear.

I realise I'm early, where is she? I could have sworn she was right behind me, then again Brittany is lazy as fuck haha. Oh well I'll just wait here till she finally rolls out of bed and gets her ass down here.

We're in the car and dad has his hand on my knee while mom is staring out the window with her hands in tight fists. I don't understand why she's always mad at me. I mean I know I'm a fuck up but she could at least be a little proud at some things I do...

Dad turns his head and says that he loves me and that's when it happens. A logging truck swerves towards us and dad turns too late. All I hear is the crunching of the impact.

I see a bright white light, I think I'm dead. Then I start to get up, I pull myself out of the ditch and look around. What I see brings me horror. The truck is all over the road. As I'm looking around I spot something in the middle of the road.

I walk over. It can't be. No. "MOM!!!!" I scream. She's not breathing and I know she's dead. I don't notice the tears streaming down my face until I see red.

I clutch my face with the sleeve of my sweater. Then I remember who was driving. "DAD" I scream.

Something moves on the other side of the huge peice of metal that used to be the truck. "DAD IS THAT YOU" I start running towards the sound.

Then I see him. He's laying there, helpless. He looks at me and I walk closer until I'm sitting in front of him holding his head. He gives me his phone and tells me to dial the number.

"911 what's your emergency?" The operater says.

I stumble to find words then he looks up at me and I know I have to do this for him. "Help, there's been a car crash on the highway. There's people alive my dad is going to die we need help please come fast!" Then the tears come again.

She tells me that they will be there as soon as the can be. Not even ten seconds after she says that I hear the sirens.

Three police cars, two fire trucks, and two ambulances.

"Kate!!! Why didn't you wake me up?!"

I didn't even see her coming this way until she started talking. I must've blacked out. "Sorry Brittany... I thought you were awake when I tried the first time. I'm sorry."

"Kate. No please don't cry. It's alright. You were thinking of it again weren't you. Please it's okay. Come here" I didn't know what was happening until she was holding me. I couldn't help thinking of the crash. It was the last time I saw my parents alive.

I had had my phone in my pocket during the crash, but I forgot everything as soon as I saw him laying there. I only remembered it was there when I was riding in one of the ambulances with dad. I called Brittany and cried the whole time.

At the time we had just been internet best friends, a face time here and there was all we had to know what each other looked like. We texted every day just to see what was new. Then I was shipped off to her house like goods from a farm.

"Hey, hey, I'm here. It's all going to he alright. What time is it?" She asks.

"It's only eight." I say as I stop crying.

"Wanna go get Timmies before class?" She asks this every morning I break down. And I'm glad. I don't know where I would be if she weren't around.

"Okay, but I didn't bring any money." I say, wanting to push the memories away into the farthest corner of my brain as possible.

"Hey. I got you covered." She says with a grin. "You have to let me pay for you. It's the least I can do after everything."

"Alright, lets go before we're late. Race ya?" I call behind me as I take off. Every morning for the past week this is how it's been. But this morning I was going to beat her there.

A/N ~ Hey not many people have read this or even heard of it but please tell your friends and comment what you thought! I'll try to update as soon as I can. This isn't the first book I've written on here but it's the first one I'm going to write till it's finished even if nobody reads it. If you want something to happen in this book just write it in the comments and I'll try to interpret it the best I can, but not all suggestions will be used.