Six

Sore — everything was stiff and achy after fighting off four grown men at once. Aegon's muscles protested as he turned in bed, content to keep off his injured side.

It could've been worse — a fatal wound, considering they'd stabbed the prince.

Aegon had gotten off lucky with little more than a flesh wound — his doublet had protected him rather well. He would have to thank the tailors later for always adding a secondary layer to his clothes.

Perhaps it was because he was always forgetting his cloak, too drunk to remember something as trivial as outerwear, but the little addition to the prince's wardrobe had saved him more than once, particularly from the chill.

And now a blade.

"How are you feeling, my love?" Alicent asked.

She had been inquiring after her son in frequent intervals following the attack and visited him more than anyone else, save for Aemond.

"Like someone stabbed me," he grumbled, but his tone was light.

"They shall not shave the edges of our crowns nor make any cuts in our flesh."

The prince hadn't noticed Helaena follow their mother in — quiet as a mouse per her usual mannerisms.

She repeated the riddle, talking of scalped crowns and grievous intentions while wringing her hands together. Helaena was nervous — she knew why they'd been attacked and could see the mayhem replaying behind her eyes.

"They wanted to take our crowns — our nobility, our birthright," Aegon nodded kindly at his sister-wife. "This militant faction, led by our grandsire, is hell-bent on tearing our family down."

Alicent sighed. "I knew my father was ambitious, but I never thought to see the day when he'd harm his blood."

He didn't know who she was trying to convince — them or herself. It mattered not — Aegon knew his grandsire was manipulative ever since the pig incident.

Shame filled the prince at the memory of his brother's face when presented with the beast, strapped with fake wings and a saddle. Not his kindest moment, to be sure, but most certainly his cruelest.

Aegon had been trying to make up for it — he stayed off the drink, no matter how much he wanted it, and was at least attempting to be a better brother, husband, everything. It wasn't easy, but he reasoned that if Aemond could make amends with Lucerys, he could also learn to forgive and be forgiven in return.

"Thank you for coming to see me," Aegon murmured to his mother — to Helaena when she glanced at him.

His wife smiled and fidgeted with her dress, pleased by his kind words. Helaena peaked at the prince momentarily, but otherwise, her gaze remained on the floor as she stood near the door.

"The children want to see you," Alicent explained tentatively.

Aegon stiffened but soon relaxed — he was surprised the children remembered him enough to want to see him.

"When I'm better," he softly argued. "I don't wish to worry them with my injury. In a few days, after I've rested, I will visit them in the nursery."

His mother nodded — she would never push her son, not when he was recovering from everything. It hadn't been that long since he'd been purged of the wine, and already, the prince was much better.

"Very well, dearest — rest until then."

Alicent turned to leave, and Aegon was certain his sister-wife would follow. She didn't, however, and instead took the open seat next to his bed.