07 | Echo

CHAPTER SEVEN : ECHO

"Kaori Koritsu." The thunderous voice of a Higher Up made Kaori's fist clench. "Do you know why you're here?"

"I assume it has something to do with Ryomen Sukuna incarnating." Kaori replied, keeping her eyes glued to the floor. "Though I'm not sure what that has to do with me."

As she had expected, the Higher Ups had summoned her, and it just happened to be when Gojo was called away on Clan business. What a coincidence.

The room she was stood in the middle of was old, it was a soft beige colour when the lights were on, however it just looked gloomy when a summoning was in session. There were various boards surrounding her, a Higher Up sat behind one of them and it was backlit so you couldn't see who it was. Not that Kaori wanted to.

Kaori didn't like to hate anything or anyone, she always thought it to be too strong a word. However, she would whole heartedly say that she hated the Higher Ups.

"It means Sukuna can incarnate again. And the risks of Neyomi reuniting with him have gone from 0 to around 83.33%." Another Higher up stated factually.

"What a very specific number." Kaori mocked, not able to stop herself. "But that doesn't change the fact that Yuji Itadori is dead. I saw his body with my own eyes."

People were shouting at her, calling her a liar, saying she deserved to die for protecting someone like him. It did nothing but force her to tense up even more then she already was. She could feel her hands clenching even tighter as she tried to contain her anxiety.

"There're concerns that a second vessel for Ryomen Sukuna will appear. And you're at the front of those talks." Someone sneered at her, like she was a bug under their shoe.

"Me? You think I would be the next vessel for Sukuna?" Kaori was bewildered at what they were saying. Didn't they know she was traumatised enough as a vessel for one person? "Trust me when I tell you that I don't want them reunited just as much as you."

A Higher Up began to laugh at her. "We don't trust you. No amount of kill curses or following our orders will convince us."

"We've thought of some more ..." Another hummed as they thought, but Kaori could hear the sick grin they had on their face as they continued, "drastic measures to make sure we can trust you."

"A binding vow? You think Satoru Gojo would allow you to form a binding vow with me while he's not here." Kaori used Gojo was a threat every time, it's what he had taught her to do. But it seemed this time was one time too many.

"Oh no, that's much too risky." A Higher Up admitted.

"You remember what happened to Yuji Itadori, yes?"

The sight of Itadori's body flashed through her mind. The sunken skin, the massive whole in her body. But they she thought to the events predating that. Her eyes widened. They were talking about sending first years to a detention centre when it was way over their grade.