"𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐟 𝐢𝐭 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐛𝐮𝐫𝐧?"

Start from the beginning

"Hannah Montana has writing credits! Does she get special treatment because her daddy decided to pick you up one day?!" Makayla snapped in frustration and Opal's lawyer sucked in a sharp breath, reaching out to shut the files containing their contract, knowing for a fact they will never be signed.

Opal scowled dangerously, "Not that it's any of your business but I'm not adopted, Hanaha is my sister. Second of all my sister actually has musical talent, the same can't be said about you," she smiled snidely and stood suddenly, "We're done here, find another writer," she directed to the stricken executive. "See how far you can get without me there to hold your hand. Have a good day," she turned on her heel and swept from the room, her lawyer in tow.

"I take it we'll not be doing business with them again."

"What gave it away? My sunny disposition?" Opal said playfully, "Thanks for accompanying me, Clara."

The woman waved her off, "Don't worry about it, kid, it's my job," they stepped out of the building where her driver was waiting.

"Do you need a ride?" Opal asked politely and her lawyer shook her head.

"Nah," she checked her watch, "I'm off the clock for today and we're near my favourite sandwich place, it's almost as good as the bodega I used to go to in New York, I'll be seeing you, kid."

She waved as Opal slipped into the car. "Home?" Her driver inquired.

"Can you take me down to Paulo's then drop me off at the mall, please."

"You got it."

~~~~

"Oh, Paulo!" Opal called into the jewellery store, it was empty as it usually was on a weekday afternoon. She looked around at all the glittering jewelry in their beautifully polished display cases.

"Do my ears deceive me?" Said the man poked his head out from the back, holding a monocle in one hand and an unfinished ring in the other. "Opal, my sweet girl!" He cried in delight, absconding his project to eagerly greet her, pressing kiss on both her cheeks.

"Did you miss Paulo?" He inquired happily, his Italian accent thick.

"Always."

"What can I do for you today?"

"I'd like to order something custom," Ophelia said lightly looking over the rings he had on display,

"How soon do you need it?"

"How soon can you get it done?"

The man raised his brows at the challenge, "What is it?"

"A necklace," Opal hummed as the doorbell rang when a customer entered.

"Paulo will be with you in just a minute," he said looking over Opal's shoulder.

"I need it like this," she showed him the necklace that was once her mother's, "But with citrin instead of opal and gold instead of silver."

"Ah, for your sister, yes?"

Opal hummed in confirmation.

"I can have it done by next week," the man said, "I don't have citrin but I have Topaz which is also a November stone and it comes in different colours so...", he trailed off moving to the back to look at his stones. He returned a few moments later with three different pouches. He emptied a few stones onto the surface in front of them. "I recommend the pink because she's Hannah Montana—."

Someone behind her released a choked gasp, they're deftly ignored.

"—but the Swiss blue will do wonders for her eyes," Paulo continues. "Show me your necklace again," he observed how it was held. "I can do something similar and I have a gold chain just like this one," he moves around the counter, "excusie," he moves passed his customers and Opal does a double take when she spots a familiar face.