Chapter 17: Well... that wasn't as planned.

"And with that I have to get all of the grades in by the end of the week," Yukio said,"I would really appreciate if some of you came in and helped me grade," Once he saw that it didn't do anything he sighed. "Whoever does it will get extra credit,"

Your grades weren't bad enough that you had to do th-

"I'll go ahead and do it," Rin promised raising his hand.

After a few seconds you raised your hand,"I'll come in too," For all you knew this was the only chance you were going to get to talk to Rin. 

Yukio smiled at the two f you and everyone your names on a piece of paper,"Just come in right after school," You nodded and before Yukio could say anything else the bell rang, signaling your next class.

You stood up and grabbed your bag, walking out of the room with Izumo next to you. "Why did you do that? It's not like you need the extra credit,"

You glanced at her, a little heat rising to your cheeks. "I need to get things sorted out with Rin, and I might not get w chance like this for a long time again," you explained as you both entered the next classroom.

Izumo nodded with a smirk and you both sat down for your next class. You grabbed your book for your class and noticed out of the corner of your eyes Rin looked worried. You froze and Rin's eyes met yours. You felt your heartbeat quicken and felt really nervous under his gaze.

"Y/N? Y/N?" someone grabbed your forearm and pulled you away from the staring contest that had been going on between you and Rin.

You looked back to Izumo and forced a smile onto your face,"Yeah?"

Izumo sighed,"Can I borrow a piece of paper?" You nodded and tore a piece of paper out of your notebook and handed it to her. During class you glanced back and noticed Rin staring at you, you felt your cheeks start to burn before you whipped your head back to looking forward. You went back to taking notes during your class and tried to ignore the feeling of your cheeks burning.

You were going to take advantage of you being able to talk to Rin after school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You sighed as you walked towards Yukio's classroom in order to grade. You didn't think that it could be that hard to actually grade, and as far as you knew it would only be you and Rin so it would be a great chance to finally talk.

As you walked up to the door you heard Yukio and Rin's voices.
"I don't understand," Yukio sounded exasperated.
"She likes you... Why not try to hang out with her?" Rin asked. You took a deep breath and opened the door as Yukio began a response. You sat down next to Rin quickly and tried to ignore how stiff he got as soon as you did.

Yukio seemed to relax at the conversation being interrupted and smiled at you,"Now that you're here Y/N we can get started," After Yukio handed out the answer key and explained how to grade it he walked out for some meetings. It was dead silent after Yukio left, you felt tense and barely paid attention to grading the tests because of the whirlwind your thoughts were. You bit your lip and glanced at him out of the corner of your eye. You covered your mouth to stifle your laughter, Rin's face was scrunched up and he was wearing the clip to hold back his dark hair like he did when he was studying. Rin glanced at you, "What's so funny?"
"It's just funny to see you look like that is all," you confessed in between giggles.
Rin stared at you for a moment, his face turned a light red before he looked down and mumbled,"Whatever,".

~~~~~~ Rin~~~~~~
Y/N sighed as she finally stopped laughing and looked at the tests. I tried to stop the burning in my cheeks but with her sitting right next to me I couldn't.
"We should hang out sometime," Y/N suggested. I froze and looked at her, she was stiff. She was trying to focus back on grading but at the same time seemed to be waiting for my response. I actually really did want to hang out with her. I hated not seeing her as much. 

I shook my head and took a deep breath, there was no way I could be around her and support her in a relationship with Yukio. "I've been pretty busy lately," I lied as I tried to go back to grading,"Why don't you try hanging out with Yukio," 

~~~~~~Y/N~~~~~~

      You groaned and let go of the answer key and test you were holding, before slamming them on the desk you were sitting at and turning your head towards Rin. "Why do you keep saying that?" you demanded loudly. 

    "Because you're interested in him obviously," Rin answered frustrated,"Stop pretending as if you didn't say so," You gave Rin a confused look,'I don't remember saying anything like that.... The only person I've confessed to liking is him....'  Rin shook his head,"Whatever. I'll just grade these at home for the extra points," He stood up with the papers under his arm and started to walk away. 

     You shook your head and stood up,"I never said anything like that! Where would you get the idea that I'm interested in Yukio?" 

     "You said it yourself!" Rin said again as he walked out of the classroom. You stood there for a moment before shaking your head and following him out. 

     You grabbed Rin's arm and pulled him to a stop,"I'm not interested in Yukio!"

     Before Rin could respond you both heard footsteps and looked up to see Yukio and Mephisto walking towards you. As soon as they stopped in front of you, you let go of Rin's arm. Mephisto smiled at you both and put his arms out wide,"Y/N! Rin! Just the people we wanted to talk to.... We're not interrupting something are we?" Mephisto raised his eyebrows at the tense atmosphere. Rin shook his head and Mephisto's smile widened and clapped his hands,"Good! Anyways... me and Mr. Okumura* have something important to tell you," Mephisto turned towards Yukio to continue on.

     Yukio nodded before clearing his throat,"The teachers have all discussed and decided to choose you both as the representatives for our school in the upcoming tournament based on your actions in the Exwire exam. The tournament is in a week for you both to train," You couldn't believe that you were chosen, you couldn't help but feel excited at the idea. You hadn't really fought demons since the exam, Ami and Barret's class did give you some demons to fight but it wasn't the same. 

    "Do you both accept to go into the tournament?" Mephisto asked with his eyebrows raised. 

     "Of course," you said quickly and Rin nodded and you could tell he was as excited as you were.  

       Mephisto and Yukio both smiled at you and Rin before Yukio began to tell you the rules. After he said the rules Mephisto told you both to go to your dorms. You began to walk back to the classroom to grab your bag while Rin made way for the school's exit. Mephisto clapped his hands,"Oh! I forgot both of you!" you turned to Mephisto and he smiled,"You're going to work as a team for this tournament so play nice,"

     Before you could say anything Mephisto turned towards Yukio and they both walked off to finish something. You turned to Rin and sighed as you noticed how Rin's jaw was clenched and he was staring at the floor. 

     "Rin..... I meant what I said," you repeated before walking to the classroom. 

*I don't remember if he refers to him formally or calls him Yukio so I'm just guessing.