━ Chapter Three

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━III

III. 𝗔 𝗧𝗿𝘂𝗲 𝗧𝗮𝗿𝗴𝗮𝗿𝘆𝗲𝗻
115ᴀᴄ
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

 𝗔 𝗧𝗿𝘂𝗲 𝗧𝗮𝗿𝗴𝗮𝗿𝘆𝗲𝗻115ᴀᴄ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

THE RED KEEP FELT LIGHTER WITH RHAENYRA'S ABSENCE. It was nought to do with the girl herself; in fact, any one of the Targaryen-Hightower 'family' could have gone and the outcome would have been the exact same. The air was simply always tense when Viserys, Alicent, Rhaenyra and Anaelys were within the castle walls together. Festering grudges and unresolved hatred lingered in the air.

Her father had not succumbed to her wishes to live as a lone woman for the coming years at least. Instead, he had arranged for her a tour across his realm. She would stay within the castles of Lords paramount to see marriage petitions from their vassal houses. The girl had been nothing if not unimpressed by the variety of men whom put themselves forward for her hand. Old men, vile men, young men, greedy men, she had seen all of them in the weeks away.

With her gone, Alicent seized an opportunity to plead Anaelys's case. To ask Viserys for what was the girl's birthright. He would be unoccupied by his eldest's troublesome antics and perhaps more agreeable to her request.

Alicent Hightower pushed the door to the King's chamber open, peeking her head through and smiling as relaxed as she could at him. Viserys looked at her questioningly, waving off the maids cleaning the room. They bundled the linens to his bed and his used clothes before scuttling from the room, barely curtseying to the Queen before they were half sprinting down the halls.

Alicent took a step into the room, eyes firmly held upon her husband. He appeared more flippant, sipping his wine and watching as his Valyrian model was added upon.