Chapter 1: Sophie

Paradise. That was all Sophie could say about her new life. She had certainly chosen the right decision when she killed Stefan for Rafal. Lying, hateful Stefan, she thought scornfully. Good riddance.

She lay flat on her back, inhaling the soothing scents of vanilla and lavender as several of her servants rubbed buttercream onto her back in a gentle massage.

An excited seven-year old boy with forest-green eyes bounded in, his spiky white hair tousled and dripping. "I went inside the river!"

"Yes, dear," Sophie answered absentmindedly, admiring her reflection in the mirror as her servants proceeded to spread goat milk on her arms and legs.

Rowen pouted and stuck out his bottom lip. "Play with me."

"Go find your father," Sophie snapped impatiently, glaring at her son. "Can't you see I'm busy?"

"But Father's always doing work, and you're always doing beauty routines!" Rowen protested. "It's not fair! How come all the other kids get to play with their moms and dads and you and Father always..." His voice trailed off when he noticed Sophie's scowl.

"Well then get out!" Sophie shrieked. Her servants winced.

Rowen's lip trembled, and his eyes filled up with tears. "But..."

Sophie finally gave in and hugged him, being careful not to mess up her nails. Rowen buried his tiny face in his mother's arms, sobbing. "Why can't you pl-ayyyyy...."

The School Master burst inside, panting and looking enraged. "Rowen!" he barked, lunging for his son. "You have to take a bath!"

"Guess he was lying about you being busy," Sophie murmured under her breath, still holding Rowen. Rafal grunted in response and took a step towards the seven-year old. "Rowen. Here, now," he said sharply.

Rowen let out an unhappy sigh as he was dragged away by his father and out of the room. "Bye, Mother!" he called.

Sophie went back to her massage.