iv. ( making friends, i see )

Beginne am Anfang

"A little brute force —"

"Is always helpful."

"Thank you," Beetee said quietly and nodded towards them.

"By the corner of the table," Wiress whispered.

"Plutarch?" Katniss asked. Beatrice made eye contact with him and he sent her a small smirk. She just rolled her eyes and looked away, still not able to fully trust him. He was the head Gamemaker, after all.

"No, next to him," Wiress answered.

Beetee lifted up his glasses a bit. "Ah, a force field."

"How do you know?" Katniss asked at the same time Beatrice let out a confused "Where?" and tilted her head.

"The shimmering," Beetee said, like it was obvious, "Top lefthand side."

Neither of the young girls could see it. Beetee moved both of their heads in the right direction. Beatrice tried her best not to flinch at the touch, reminding herself it was just Beetee. "There, you see it?"

Beatrice let out a soft gasp when she finally found it. "I see it!" She said in an excited whisper. Katniss tried not to let her gaze on the girl go soft. It was a bit cute she got so excited over a force field.

"Looks like glass," Katniss said.

"To separate us and them," Wiress confirmed.

"Probably my fault. I shot an arrow at them last year," Katniss said oh so casually. Beatrice let out a soft giggle at her confession. "Of course you did," the blonde said with a small smile on her face. Katniss gave her the tiniest smile back, but Beatrice could still see it.

"Electromagnetic," Beetee said.

"How can you tell?" Katniss asked. Beetee and Wiress let out a burst of small laughter. They were from the district of technology, after all.

"Is- is it obvious or something?" Katniss asked awkwardly.

Beetee and Wiress were still laughing. The woman said, "They might as well have a sign."

"Look around you. All the holograms, the lights. Every now and then they flicker, why?" Beetee said, trying to teach the younger girls.

"It's the force field— " Beatrice started.

"— It's taking up too much energy," Katniss finished.

Beetee shakes his head with a small smile, "There's always a flaw in the system."

Beatrice shakes her head. "Amazing," she said in awe, "We don't have this kind of technology in my district. It's incredible." The blonde looked around her again, trying to find more of the flaws Beetee was talking about.

The older man looks proudly at the blonde girl. The two were never all that close, but all Victors shared a special bond with one another. Beatrice found that out very quickly.

"Thanks for the lesson, professor," Beatrice said sarcastically, patting the man on the shoulder and standing up. She watched Katniss walk towards Mags at the fishhook station. Beatrice glanced around before finding Peeta by knife throwing station. She walked over to him.

"Hey bread boy," Beatrice said jokingly from behind him. The blond man whipped around to come face-to-face with Beatrice. She gave him a small smile.

"Hi Beatrice," he said a bit nervously, but trying to hide it. But Beatrice could tell. She was always good at reading people.

"You're pretty good with a knife," she said, "But your stance is a little off. Can I help?" Peeta smiled a bit, not expecting her to be this kind.

"Please do. I saw your games, you're amazing with knives," Peeta said.

"Thank you!" She said with a big smile. It was hard to find someone so genuine. Peeta always had been, though. She could tell just from watching his games.

Beatrice turned him around to face the bullseye again, standing to his side. She moved his arm in to a different angle and moved his right leg back a bit. After a few tries, he finally got the knife to land on one of the inner rings.

"Nice job! You're a fast learner," Beatrice said kindly. Peeta thanked her and offered to show her the ropes to the camouflage station. She accepted the offer with a smile, but as soon as she did, they called lunch.

"Tomorrow," Peeta promised as her walked back to Katniss. She gave him a thumbs up with a smile before joining Finnick on the way to the dining room.

"Making friends, I see," the man said with a smirk.

"They're actually very nice people. Unexpected," Beatrice said back. Finnick nodded his head in agreement before getting lost in thought. Maybe protecting Katniss would be easier than she thought.

MIRA SPEAKS :: i'm back!!! it took almost a year but here's the new chapter! hope you enjoyed!