At that, her father's attention was finally gained, his permanently glaring eyes fixed on his spawn, face numb and cold. This heavily contrasted her mother's face, which was warm and filled with emotion as the curiosity flickered in her eyes.

"What is it?" her father's rough voice spoke out, words filled with suspicion that matched his gaze.

Y/n paused, her internal script gone from her thoughts. For a moment, she couldn't speak, breathing heavily as she searched for the words she had memorized by heart. Clearing her throat, she started to piece together what she did remember, hoping the rest would follow naturally.

"I know that recently I have been... disrespectful," she started, spitting out the words she knew her father wanted to hear even though they went against her own intuition. "And I know I probably don't deserve your approval for what I'm about to ask, but I was wondering if I could hang out with a couple of friends today."

The silence that followed was sickening. Her and her mother's eyes moved to Y/n's father as they awaited his response. His face was unsettling, unwavering as he took his daughter's words into consideration. Before he even spoke a word, she knew by the way he opened his mouth that it was over.

"I cleaned the apartment," she blurted out, forcing her father's mouth to close as he listened. "Including taking out the trash, doing the dishes, scrubbing the toilets, everything. I also finished all my homework and studying, and I will be out only out an hour and a half, two hours, tops."

Another round of quiet fell over the room.  The thrumming of her heartbeat pounded in her head like drums, her mind racing as she searched her father's lifeless expression.  That was the hard thing about him.  You didn't know his answer until the words fell out of his mouth.

After what felt like minutes, he sighed, shaking his head before his eyes met his daughter's.

"Who all will be there?" he questioned, his voice laced with frustration, but overall compliant.

With that, Y/n let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding.  A smirk crept up onto her face, but she quickly went back to a neutral expression, not wanting to get too excited too soon.

"Mike and a person he's friends with," I said, fidgeting with my hands as I looked into my father's gaze.  "The friend goes to Visions Academy, you know, the school for good kids, so you don't have to worry about them."

"No Miles?" he immediately asked, raising an eyebrow and crossing his arms over his chest.

"No Miles," I lied, nodding as my eyes darted away before moving back.  "I promise."

Her father stared at her for another moment, narrowing his eyes as he searched her words for fallacies.  Then, after he muttered under his breath, he nodded.

"You can go," he mumbled, his voice gruff with hints or irritation.  "But just know that if you and Michelle get into trouble or even think about doing anything I wouldn't approve of, your ass is grounded again.  Got it?"

"Yes sir," I agreed, a smile spreading across my lips as I looked at the ground.  "And his name is Mike.  He doesn't go by Michelle anymore."

Her father grumbled a whatever, going back to what he was watching on the TV.  He wasn't the type of person who believed in the humanistic ideals that had evolved with this generation, too stuck in the past to change his ways.

"Be safe honey," Y/n's mother gained her attention, putting a soft hand on her shoulder. "And make sure to have fun!"

She gave her mom a soft nod, wishing her a goodbye as she left the apartment. Then, with a skip in her step, she made her way through the busy city streets.