sixteen

Several days later

Iris laid out some flour in front of you, ever since you had left the Eckhart family Iris and here family had let you stay with them, At first they were skeptical given their status compare to yours but in the end Iris had convinced them.

"I have news," your ears perked up as you look at her waiting. "Penelope was found not guilty, she publicly confessed her love to the crowned prince that's why she was with him" she begins it brought a smile to your face. "They didn't say anything about the attempted murder but I guess it's going to be covered up" she says. It made sense if these nobles had anything to do with the crime it was going to be covered to save face.

You stay silent deep in thought, "I couldn't get any news on Derrick, if that was what you were hoping for" you give her a light slap on the arm. "I don't care anymore" she laughs at yiu unable to believe what you were telling her. She stands on the other side of the table as the two of you begin preparing some of the dough. "Derrick is an asshole I don't understand why he wouldn't protect his own sister" Iris begins, you had told her everything that had happened and as usual she took your side as well as Penelope's.

The door to the bakery chimes, you both look up as Iris goes to the counter to assist the customer. After a few seconds she comes back, "it's for you, i tried okay" she says looking defeated. You walk towards the counter to see who was asking for you, it wasn't who you were expecting. "Reynold?" The man startled look at you. He was trying hard to conceal his identity it gave you the impression that he wasn't supposed to be here. He clears his throat, "can you come home?" He asks with a tint of pink on his face. "Look I get it if you and Derrick broke things off but maybe you can live in our town so me and Penelope can come and visit you know?" He says trying not to sound awkward. Reynold was a delight even if he did obnoxious things he was good company.

"Is Penelope okay?" You ask him. "She's been super cold towards Derrick she's been visiting the prince in hopes that he wakes up" he says sounding defeated. You noticed a light tint of pink on his face. "What about me?" He whispers hiding his face from you. You pinched his nose chuckling. Startled he looked at you, "Reynold how are you" you teasingly tell him. He gives you a glare taking your hand, "Ellie," you glanced at him, waiting for him to continue. The grip on your hand gets tighter, he looked nervous as you patiently waited for him to continue. "I-I I want you..." the door flings wide open as the familiar structure steps in. Reynold refused to let go of your hand even as Derrick approached you. He had a sour look on his face. "Reynold what do you think you are doing?" He says glaring at your hand that was tightly being held by Reynold. "How did you find me?" You asked him. "Reynold is terrible at being secretive" he says his eyes still glued on your hand. Reynold quietly let's go and leaves the bakery.

"Reynold wait!" You called out rushing after him, "what were you saying" you yell out only for Derrick grabbing a hold of your arm. You sighed looking down at his hand, "why did you come here" you ask turning your head up to look at him. He sighs sitting down on the nearest chair, you stared at him waiting to hear what he had to say. His silence was beginning to irritate you, "Derrick I have to go back to work, so leave" he scoffs getting up, you watch him head straight for the counter leaving a huge amount of money on the counter for Iris. You try and take the money back only for Derrick to pick you up over his shoulder. "In my opinion she's priceless but hope that covers it" he tells Iris as he leaves the shop.

He continued to walk with you down the street with the occasional looks and gasps. After a few minutes he finally sets you down. Something that you hadn't expected for it to happen, happened. He knelt down in front of you taking your hand, "Derrick please don't, think of your status" you say urging him to get back up. He shakes his head, "Ellianna, please listen to me" he says in an almost desperate tone. 

"I'm not perfect, I admit i have my own issues. Yvonne is at the center of those issues" he says his icy blue eyes locking onto yours. "As the heir of the dukedom it's so hard to make decisions for myself, I do what I do for the sake of the Eckhart reputation" you took your hand and placed it on his heart. "Derrick that's the issue here, you care more about what people think," his gazes more towards the floor. At that moment he knew you were right and he couldn't continue to deny it. 

Taking your other hand you move his face up to look at you, "stop caring about that, start caring about your family and choose them first and that includes Penelope" his eyes widen. 

He finally stands up, you do the same as he pulls you into his arms for a hug. "Darling, I love you and don't want you to think I won't put your wellbeing first" he whispers into your ear. "and for the record, you're the only one that can look down on me" he continues as you feel your cheeks flush. You move your head up as he softly kisses you. 

His kisses were as soft as a feather. 

********

Standing outside the palace you walked back and forth, it had been a few days since you had last seen Penelope. Neither of you had spoken about the incident so you were somewhat worried whether or not she was okay. 

Although Reynold constantly reassured you that she was okay and was by the crowned prince's side waiting for him to wake up. But you had to see it with your own eyes. Derrick had decided to stay in the carriage saying something along the lines of him not being ready to face Penelope after what had happened between the two. 

"Miss Rose?" you looked up to see one of the palace maids. She smiled opening the door for you. She led you towards where Callisto was resting. "Ms. Eckhart is in there" she says giving you a slight bow and proceeded to carry on with her day. 

Before you were about to open the door you heard some voices inside. It sounded like Penelope and Callisto, "Thanks to you i'm alive" you heard him tell the princess. 

"why didn't you tell me-" you smiled to yourself walking away from the door. Those two needed their own time alone it would be a shame for you to interrupt them. 

Love. 

It's what those two have. 

Penelope might not even know yet. 

Gosh i'm so bad at updating! I'm so sorry for the delay I set it up to update automatically so I don't know why it didn't work :/ 

thank you for reading! I really do appreciate all the love this is getting!