Maybe she already knows you better than you think.

***

Ella arrived at Lady Sommer's estate, sitting down in her living room. Her host, Veronica Sommer, served tea.

"Tell me something, Ella." Veronica started when they were both sat. "I've heard there are foreign guests in the palace."

"Yes. Guests from Great Tundra, including my soon to be future lord husband. There are many tundrians staying over."

"Right..." The woman looked down at her hands. "I received a visit yesterday, from two of them."

Ella did a double take. Veronica looked weary, her eyes suspicious.

"Did they now?" Ella asked, bewildered. She couldn't imagine why.

"Yes. I received a gift. They said it was from "Lord Hunter"."

"That's my future husband's title."

"I see... " Veronica trailed off, reaching to a nearby cupboard. She pulled out a wooden box. "I didn't know what to think about it, so I put it aside to ask about your opinion."

She opened the box. Her stiff fingers pulled out a set of leather gloves with weird threads in many places, and a big jar of dried herbs.

"Two women in animal furs knocked on my door yesterday. The one with leopard skin said she was Dia, the other one had wolf skin, both very strong and intimidating, but I didn't catch the name. Dia said she was a healer from Great Tundra and that she heard about my problem with my fingers, and that Lord Hunter sent her over to take a look if I allow it."

"And you did?"

"I have nothing to lose with my fingers, and I just assumed she heard about my issue from someone and was perhaps conducting research on the same topic. They were both very respectful, but didn't want any tea."

Ella chuckled.

"Of course not."

"They looked me over and Dia decided my nerves were damaged. It matched the diagnosis my doctor had given me, so she must have been legitimate. She said she can leave me something to help if I have enough determination to do it myself every day."

"And she gave you the gloves?"

"Gloves and herbs." Veronica nodded. "She said I would need to brew the herbs every day and soak the gloves in them while I sleep. Then I would have to wear the gloves the whole day, and take them off when I go to bed again to soakI them in the herbs. She told me exactly how to brew them, and showed me how to put on the gloves."

"Then... what's the problem?"

"She was still a stranger, and the herbs are nothing I've ever seen before. She might as well have come to poison me and steal my jewels. I knew you had tundrians as guests in your estate, so I wanted to check in with you."

"Kava... I mean, Lord Hunter is an esteemed guest. He wouldn't have anyone give you anything harmful. I think you should try. As you said, what do you have to lose?"

Veronica looked down at the box.

"Did Dia say what you can expect? What results?" Ella asked when the silence stretched.

"She said that it will hurt a lot, since the nerves will be connecting back. After two weeks the pain should subside since the main parts will be ready. Then after a month I should be able to move my fingers properly. I would have to switch to wearing gloves in the night instead and do various exercises for a long time to make sure the nerves are proper. This is all provided that I don't miss even a single day of the gloves, at least for that first month. I wouldn't be able to take them off during the day for anything, no matter what dress I would be wearing or where I would be going."