XXIV

Eadrid found Theoden in the hall, alone. He stood with his arms crossed, and brows furrowed in thought.

"Father." She said breathlessly as she approached him. "Aragorn is alive, I must go out and look for him."

Theoden shook his head. "Eadrid-"

"No, I must. Without me, we would be one less in this battle, but without Aragorn we will lose the entire war."

"Eadrid, I need you here, our men will need one to call them." Theoden grabbed her shoulders. "He is gone, Eadrid. Whatever tells you he is alive is playing tricks with your mind."

She shook his hands off her and took a step back. "I know he is alive... I must find him. We cannot have victory without him."

Eadrid turned around and began for the doors. But she reached them she had to take a step back, as they were forcefully pushed open in front of her.

And there, in the doorway, was Aragorn.

Eadrid stood, astonished in front of him for a moment, but quickly walked up to him, raised her hand-

And slapped him across the face.

Not hard, but enough for him to feel a sting. 

"Never, ever do that to me again." Eadrid said, pointing in his face.

Aragorn looked at her with a grin and pulled her into a kiss, as passionate as he did in the field of flowers.

He embraced her with all the strength he had in him. His hands held the back of her head as he pulled apart, looking down at Eadrid's glistening eyes. 

"I knew you were alive." She whispered with a smile.

"So indeed you are happy that I have returned?" He smiled sarcastically.

Eadrid smiled and shook her head. She unwrapped her arms from him and offered her open hand, his silver ring in her palm. Aragorn closed her hand. "Keep it." He said quietly.

"I could not." Eadrid shook her head.

"It is mine to give to you." Aragorn put her hair behind her ears and kissed her softly.

Then, he took the ring and slipped it over her thumb. He lifted it to his lips and kissed where it laid, looking up at Eadrid.

"I thought you had left me to my own." Eadrid whispered.

Aragorn frowned and shook his head. "I will never leave you, Eadrid."

Eadrid nodded and pulled away, turning to face Theoden, who stood observing them. 

Aragron walked up to him and clasped a hand to Theoden's shoulder. "We must prepare for battle."

_____

Aragorn told Theoden what he saw not far from Helm's Deep.

"Ten thousand?" Theoden looked up to him.

Aragorn nodded. "It is an army bred for a single purpose: To destroy the world of Men. They will be here by nightfall.

Theoden turned and walked away. "Let them come!"

Aragorn and Eadrid gave each other a look as they followed him. 

Legolas and Gimli joined them, as they began for the gate.

Theoden turned to Gamling. "I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms to be ready for battle by nightfall." Gamling nodded and walked off. "We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the Deeping Wall, or set foot inside the Hornburg!"