"The thief might have gone into the wrong vault," Percy suggested. "Maybe he wanted to go to the next one." But he sounded unsure.

The next Thursday afternoon, Flying lessons would be starting— and Gryffindor and Slytherin would be learning together.
"Typical," said Harry darkly. "Just what I always wanted. To make a fool of myself on a broomstick in front of Malfoy."
"You don't know that you'll make a fool of yourself," said Ron reasonably. "Anyway, I know Malfoy's always going on about how good he is at Quidditch, but I bet that's all talk."
Malfoy certainly did talk about flying a lot. He complained loudly about first years never getting on the House Quidditch teams and told long, boastful stories that always seemed to end with him narrowly escaping Muggles in helicopters. He wasn't the only one, though: the way Seamus Finnigan told it, he'd spent most of his childhood zooming around the countryside on his broomstick. Even Ron would tell anyone who'd listen about the time he almost hit a hang glider on Charlie's old broom and Percy played one on one quidditch with his mum, who was a seeker for the Gryffindor team. Everyone from wizarding families talked about Quidditch constantly. Ron and Percy already had a big argument with Dean Thomas, who shared their dormitory, about soccer. Both boys couldn't see what was exciting about a game with only one ball where no one was allowed to fly and even Percy tried to burn the poster down although he almost caused a bonfire which got him week detention.

At three-thirty afternoon, the Griffyndors and Slytherins were lined up in two rows with brooms by their sides. The teacher, Madam Hooch, comes down the line. She has short hair and hawk yellow eyes. She looked mid-thirties but Percy knew she must be three times the age she looks.
"Good afternoon, class."
"Good afternoon, Madam Hooch." the whole classes recited
"Good afternoon, good afternoon. Welcome to your first flying lesson. Well, what are you waiting for? Everyone step up to the left side of their broomstick. Come on now, hurry up. Stick your right hand over the broom and say, up!
"Up!"
At once, Percy's broom flew into his hand.
"Knew it," he said smugly.
So did a few such as Harry's and Draco's shot up instantly. Hermione Granger's had simply rolled over on the ground, and Neville's hadn't moved at all
"With feeling!" she ordered
"UP!" Ron said and his broom immediately shot up and whacked him on the nose
"Shut up, Percy." But Ron too started to laugh after he recovered.
Madam Hooch then showed them how to mount their brooms without sliding off the end, and walked up and down the rows correcting their grips. Harry, Percy and Ron were delighted when she told Malfoy he'd been doing it wrong for years and that Percy and Ron had been doing it properly.
"Now, when I blow my whistle, you kick off from the ground, hard," said Madam Hooch. "Keep your brooms steady, rise a few feet, and then come straight back down by leaning forward slightly. On my whistle — three —two —"
But Neville, nervous and jumpy and frightened of being left on the ground, pushed off hard before the whistle had touched Madam Hooch's lips.
"Come back, boy!" she shouted, but Neville was rising straight up like a cork shot out of a bottle — twelve feet — twenty feet
"Mr Longbottom-!"
WHAM — He fell down with a thud and a nasty crack and Neville lay facedown on the grass in a heap. His broomstick was still rising higher and higher and started to drift lazily toward the forbidden forest and out of sigh
Madam Hooch was bending over Neville, her face as white as his.
"Oh, dear. It's a broken wrist. Tch, tch, tch. Good boy, come on now, up you get. Everyone's to keep their feet firmly on the ground while I take Mr Longbottom to the hospital wing. Understand? If I see a single broom in the air, the one riding it will find themselves out of Hogwarts before they can say, Quidditch.
She leaves to the hospital wing. No sooner were they out of earshot, Malfoy swaggered and snatched a glass ball out of the grass
"Look!" said Malfoy. "It's that stupid thing Longbottom's gran sent him."
"Give it here, Malfoy," Harry said confidently
Malfoys turned towards him. "No. I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find." He hops on his broom and soars around the group, then through. "How 'bout up on the roof?" and he soars off and hovers several feet above the grounds. "What's the matter, Potter? A bit beyond your reach?"
Harry grabbed his broom.
"No!" shouted Hermione Granger. "Madam Hooch told us not to move —you'll get us all into trouble. Besides, you don't even know how to fly."
Harry ignored her and flies off to face Draco
"What an idiot." said Hermione.
"I think he's brilliant." said Percy. "Come on Harry!"
They couldn't hear much but Percy knew that Malfoy goaded him because Harry shot toward Malfoy like a javelin. Malfoy only just got out of the way in time; Harry made a sharp about-face and held the broom steady.
Then Malfoy shouted out loud.
"Catch it if you can, then!" and he threw the glass ball high into the air and streaked back toward the ground.
He leaned forward and pointed his broom handle down. He stretched out his hand — a foot from the ground he caught it, just in time to pull his broom straight, and he toppled gently onto the grass with theRemembrall clutched safely in his fist
The Griffyndors cheer as Harry lands back on the ground at ease. They run to see him.
"That was wicked Harry," said Percy clapping his back.
"HARRY POTTER!"
It was Professor McGonagall who wasrunning toward them
"Never — in all my time at Hogwarts —"
Professor McGonagall was almost speechless with shock and her glasses flashed furiously, "— how dare you — might have broken your neck —"
"It wasn't his fault, Professor —"
"Be quiet, Miss Patil —"
"But Malfoy —"
"That's enough, Mr Weasley. Potter, follow me, now."
Once McGonagall was gone, Malfoy said triumphantly. "Well, it seems that Potter's going to be expelled."
Percy took his wand and was about to hex the blondie when Madam Hooch came.
"What in Merlin's beard happened?" Madam Hooch said. "When nobody answered, she said. "Never mind, go back to your dormitories."
The Griffyndors went first scowling at the Slytherins while they merely snickered behind their backs.